Gideon: Epilogue

He couldn't stop shaking.

Everything had gone perfectly so far. No one had noticed he was gone and it would be some time before they did. Patrol always took a while and they had no reason to suspect he'd leave. That gave them more than enough of a head start to get into orbit, where they'd be basically untouchable. This would work.

He was on the Cosmos. he was going away with the Demarchis family, so he'd never have to fight again. He didn't have to be angry anymore. He didn't have to hurt anyone. This was good.

But he was shaking, terrified, hiding in a corner, sure he was going to be caught. That he was doing something horrible.

That he didn't belong here.

"Are you all right, Gideon?"

He wasn't. He couldn't speak. He thought he might be sick, or that he might go red again. He didn't want to hurt anyone. They were his friends. They were...

"Hey."

Someone knelt in front of him. It was Edward. He didn't look afraid. He probably should have been; he knew what Gideon could do. But he didn't look at Gideon like he was a dangerous creature who could kill him. Instead, he rested one hand on Gideon's shoulder. When Gideon leaned closer. he pulled him into a tight hug. "It's okay," Edward–his father–said. "You're okay."

Gideon still wasn't sure about that. But, as he buried his face in Edward's shoulder, he began to feel less afraid, even if it was only a little.

He felt loved.

He had never felt loved before.