1 - Tyler Stanford's Bad Day

It had been at least a year since Tyler Stanford had seen his sisters. Being caught up in a divorce has never been easy, but one way or another the Stanford family had always found a way to catch up from time to time.

Tyler is the youngest of three children, the eldest being Bella, a driven fashion-obsessed red head with a knack for athletics. The other sister being Alicia, Tyler's twin, who unlike him, has striking blonde hair and cold blue eyes. You could never guess that the three of them were siblings, especially all related by blood.

Tyler's slightly long and very disheveled dark brown hair directly opposed everyone else in his family. He never felt like he belonged in their world, one of riches and success. Keira Stanford, their mother, was a successful lawyer and business woman while their father, Connor Stanford, is a popular TV actor.

Being the current star of the soap opera, 'Time and Time and Time Again' meant that he didn't get a lot of opportunities to spend time with his kids. This mixed with Keira's strict parenting practices broke the family and the ordeal ended in an unfortunate divorce. Keira took her two daughters while custody of Tyler was split between them.

Tyler primarily lived with his father and at first spent every odd weekend with his mother. This got harder and harder to do when Keira moved back to her home in Vancouver while Tyler stayed in Los Angeles. A few years later, and Tyler was now sixteen, and communication between him and his mother or sisters had all but ceased. Even when it was his birthday. Surprisingly, this  didn't bother him in the slightest. He was already angry at his life.

Failing grades, bullying problems, and being kicked off the football team was the primary focus in his life. But he wanted no pity, and he didn't deserve it. After all, he was the one bullying the wimpy kids and he was kicked off the football team after injuring too many of his teammates when trying to make impossible plays that definitely do not fly in football. It doesn't take a genius to work out that stomping your foot onto someone else's groin is illegal in football. Especially when said person is your own teammate. 

Tyler was happy being the one who was feared. He wasn't the strongest kid around and he definitely wasn't the tallest. Not many people would expect the 5"6 kid to be the one making others not want to go to school, but thanks to his martial arts and self defense classes, he was. He was king of his high school.

Nobody really liked him, but nobody wanted to mess with him, and he was happy that it was like this. This all changed for Tyler. And it all started with five fateful words from his father.

'Tyler, I'm getting married...again.' Tyler paused, dumbstruck and completely lost for words. He looked back at his father. They looked alike, the similarities becoming more apparent as Tyler got older. He was like a mini-version of Connor Stanford, at least in looks anyway. His father sighed. 'I didn't mean to spring this on you so suddenly, but I've made my decision.'

'Why?' Tyler said. 'I didn't even know you were seeing anyone.'

'Her name's Amanda. She's an actress on my show. She's playing the new love interest character, Tiffany Vasquez. You must know what she at least looks like?'

Tyler snorted. 'Why the hell would I watch your terrible show, let alone know who your latest love interest is?'

Connor looked embarrassed. 'I don't know. Anyway, her brother is a big director and he's filming a movie in Milan. Amanda has just been cast in the leading role and she wants me to fly out with her.'

'I've never met her. I don't want to go to Milan with you and your stupid fiancé.'

'Bud', Connor said as he put his hand on his son's shoulder, his voice switching to a darker tone. 'She wants ME to fly out. I'm not bringing you.'

'Wait...you're leaving me in L.A while you shoot some weird movie?'

'I'm not leaving you here. I've given Keira full custody. You're going to Vancouver in two days.'

Tyler's expression turned from confusion to anger. In this situation, most kids would cry. A father bluntly expressing that he doesn't want custody of his son for a completely shallow purpose isn't something to take lightly. But for Tyler, only a few words felt right in this moment.

'You're a worthless son of a bitch. I hope your new fiancé has aids.' Connor took his hand off of his son's shoulder and took a step back. The thing that shocked him the most from what he just heard wasn't the crude language, but the surprising calmness of Tyler's demeanor.

'Jesus Christ, did you have to say that?'

'Only thing that felt right.'

'What kind of an explanation is that?'

'What else do you want from me? You just said that you're abandoning me.'

'I'm not abandoning you for good. And this job isn't the only reason I'm temporarily giving up custody. You're out of control at school and your grades have severely plummeted since the divorce. You need your sisters a lot more than you need me right now. Handing over custody temporarily is the best move for you right now, and I think you know that too. Please, bud, I think you really need this. Once I'm done filming you can come back with me if you want. I love you, but I think we both deserve some time to ourselves.'

For once in his life, Tyler finally agreed with his father. It had been too long since he'd seen his sisters and living with his mother again would be a good opportunity for a fresh start. Tyler was ready to hit the reset button, if only he knew at this moment what that would entail for him and four other boys in dire need of change in their lives.