Chapter 3.3

James was led by Hermione to a small shabby-looking shop. Its columns on either side of the large bay window were grey with peeling paint. Through the window he could see a solitary wand in a dusty velvet box on display. The sign on top of the window in faded gold letters read "Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C.".

Hermione reached into her purse and counted seven of the gold coins. She gave them to James and said, "Here are seven galleons to pay for your wand. You go on in, love, and I'll wait for you out here."

James pocketed the coins and gave Hermione a hug. "I'll be right back - don't miss me too much!" James said after he gave her a kiss on the cheek. Hermione smiled and watched her son enter the store to find his wand.

---

A small bell chimed when James pushed open the door to Ollivanders. It was cramped inside, and everywhere he looked all along the walls of the shop were boxes of wands stacked high underneath a thin layer of dust. The only pieces of furniture inside the shop were a rickety old chair behind an even older desk. On the desk laid an assortment of odd knick-knacks like candy wrappers, notes, a broken radio, an assortment of quills and ink, and a tall vase with a lone goldfish swimming inside.

A man's head peaked from behind the rows of wands further into the shop. James could see the silhouette of a skinny man, rather short, with untamed white hair. As the man walked into the light, James could see he was old and frail-looking, though his eyes were a vibrant shade of silver.

Ollivander looked at the boy in front of him. 'He's a spitting image of his mother,' he thought as he held the gaze of the boy. James gulped and ran a hand through his hair, not wanting to break eye-contact with this strange man. Ollivander's mouth twitched to the side, 'And yet... I could see his father in him.'

"Welcome to Ollivanders, Mr. Daniel James Watson. How may I help you?" Ollivander finally said. James brows crinkled as he questioned how this man knew his name.

"I'm here to buy a wand, sir. But... how do you know my name?" James inquired. James liked his name; he thought it noble that his mum named him after his grandfathers and gave him the surname of his maternal grandmother's. He was told that his mum also changed her last name not soon after he was born from Granger to Watson so that there would be no confusion over their little family. Though Daniel was technically his first name, he preferred to be called by James and can't remember the last time he was called Daniel (unless you count his mum scolding him and using his full name). However, how does this stranger know his name?

"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Watson. And worry not on the how. I remember every single wand I've ever sold and it seemed like only yesterday when your mother and father were here buying their wands. How can you expect me to not recognize their child?" Ollivander replied, walking closer to James.

James gasped and his head jerked upwards to look at Ollivander at the mention of his father. "You knew my father? He bought his wand here? What was he like?" James asked the man. It's not every day he comes across someone who shared history with his father.

Ollivander walked to a stack of wands and paused, his fingers skimming over the boxes before he pulled one out from its place. He opened the box and picked up the wand inside which was of a pale brown colour. "I was lucky to have known your father," Ollivander answered simply. James noticed the man's silver eyes soften before he presented the wand to James. "Dogwood, unicorn hair, 12 inches. Give it a wave."

James took the wand silently. Not knowing what else to do, he gave the wand a quick flick and a loud bang sounded and smoke erupted from the tip. James' eyes widened and Ollivander quickly pried the wand from James' hand and replaced it in the box.

"Mmm, definitely not. Try this one instead. Chestnut, dragon heartstring, 10 inches." Ollivander handed a different wand to James, this one more supple than the dogwood. James swished the wand and a waterfall of icy cold water sprouted from the end and soaked the front of Ollivander's robes.

James apologized profusely but the wand was simply plucked from his fingers and replaced by another. For a good few minutes, James tried wands of different make, cores, and lengths as instructed by Ollivander.

After the seventh wand (ash, unicorn hair, 12.5 inches) caused the desk in the room to rattle, Ollivander paused and took a good look at the young boy. The eyes, the smile; those were clearly his mother's. In them he could see the determination to find the right wand and Ollivander was reminded of young Hermione Granger so eager to get her own wand (vine, dragon heartstring, 10 ¾ inches) to prove to all that she belonged in their world. Ollivander had found it very sad that she chose to leave it all behind, though looking at the boy in front of him, Ollivander could see why she did.

A thought came to Ollivander and he hurried to the back of the shop and gently grabbed a box from his workstation. He paused for a moment, thinking it through, before nodding his head and heading back to stand in front of James. He carefully lifted the lid and showed the boy its contents.

There against the velvet cushion was a wand of pale red colour. What's different about this one was that the handle was made of two separate pieces of wood that had been intertwined and met at a common point before extending into a solid wand. James reached in and picked up the wand carefully, studying it. It was more firm than the other wands he'd tried but this was something he liked for he felt stronger and more secure with it in his hand. He held the wand up to his face and a warm glow surrounded his body. He gasped and looked at Ollivander questioningly.

Ollivander nodded in approval. "Redwood, 10 ¾ inches, firm, and with the core of a hippogriff wingfeather. I should've known."

James was transfixed by the wand in his hand and he moved his hand in different pattern to test its weight. "What do you mean by that, sir?"

Ollivander walked to the desk and sat on the rickety old chair. He crossed his hands on the surface atop the notes and fixed James a levelled look. "Redwood trees signify forever since they can live for thousands of years. The oldest trees in the world are redwoods. The wand you hold is special for it was made from two redwood trees which were planted and grown so close to one another that over the years they fused into one. As for the core, hippogriffs are half horse, half eagle and are one of the most fiercely loyal creatures. Only one hippogriff egg is hatched per mated couple that the mother and father would go through great lengths to protect their offspring. Taming these hippogriffs is very difficult so it is very rare to find one willing to give you a feather for a wand. I was lucky when I obtained the wingfeather residing in your wand."

"Then... does this mean that this wand has picked me, sir?" James asked in astonishment.

"Yes, James. You are that wand's and that wand is yours now. Treat it well."