Chapter 7.3

Harry Potter knew he timed his entrance incorrectly. He expected to appear at the earliest when the Sorting Ceremony was over. Hell, he fully intended to arrive after the students had already left for their dormitories. But, as luck would have it, he was too early and arrived even before the Sorting began. He blamed the accelerated speeds of his new broomstick.

Not knowing what else to do, Harry looked at Professor Dumbledore for help. The older wizard was the only person, aside from his godfather and boss, who knew that he was taking up the position of the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. He decided on it last minute. After Dumbledore's and Sirius' surprise visit, Harry took a couple of days to decide whether or not it was something he wanted to do and something he could do. After a lot of deliberating and soul-searching, he decided it was probably best for him. They were right, of course - it was time for him to move on and there's no better place to start than where it all began. Besides, Hogwarts was his home and he had missed it these past few years. After getting his affairs settled with Trenton and agreeing to remain as the Gryphon's chief albeit having less of a physical role, Harry finally told Sirius and Dumbledore his decision just a day before school was set to begin. He packed his trunks the morning of September 1st and spent the afternoon and early evening flying from his flat in London to Hogwarts located in the Scottish highlands. He was utterly exhausted but from the growing whispers of everyone else in the hall, he knew his night was far from over. He really wished he had paid more attention to the time.

Albus Dumbledore stood from his seat with a wide smile and looked at the surprised faces of his students and professors. He raised a wand to his neck and cleared his throat, the sound travelling throughout the vast expanse of the room. The whispers quieted and hundreds of eyes shifted between the headmaster and the newcomer. "I don't usually do announcements before the Sorting, but I think we can break tradition once in a while," he began, his voice clear and loud. "It is my pleasure to introduce to you our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher - Harry Potter."

For a brief moment the silence was deafening, until the hall erupted into loud gasps and everyone started talking.

"Harry Potter is our new professor?!"

"This is so cool."

"I thought he's an Auror, what is he doing here?"

"Uncle Harry's the new professor?" Teddy asked in surprise. "Dad didn't tell me about this at all and they're both Aurors!"

"My dad didn't tell me about this either," Nate said in shock. "D'you reckon they know?" Teddy could only shrug.