Chapter 12.6

Harry felt pride filling his chest as he looked at the scene unfolding on the field. He couldn't stop the smile which stretched across his face as he clapped his hands loudly. Drew and Hagrid were hooting and hollering by his side, both glad to have witnessed the exciting Quidditch tryouts and seen their friends actually make it into the team.

He caught James' eyes again and saw the boy mouth the words "thank you." Harry smiled widely and mouthed "you're welcome" right back. He saw James give an enthusiastic wave at his direction before turning back to the players who were congratulating him for making Seeker.

The stands started to spill onto the field to talk to the team but Harry remained at his place. His eyes locked at James' form and a small frown materialized on his lips. He couldn't really understand his growing attachment to this boy. James was the first child outside of his familiar circle whom he felt like he could be himself around. Sure, he was a professor; but for all the other students, Harry maintained some sort of wall between him and them. He cared for his students' well-being and truly wanted them to succeed but... they weren't treated like family. And that was what Harry realized. James was starting to feel like family to him.

Harry didn't know how to feel about this. Was there a rule he was breaking for thinking and feeling like this? It's true that he was teaching Nate, Teddy, and Drew as well, but they were his family before he even started at Hogwarts. Their ties and connections were established well before he arrived. But James was so different. He met the boy at school (or at least got to know him at school) and through very acceptable and innocent circumstances, the two of them became close. Harry knew that he and James have developed a bond with each other.

Harry sighed and rubbed at his temples. "How did this suddenly become so complicated?" He thought.  He reminded himself to not let his heart open so easily. James was just a student after all and who knew where the two of them would be after this school year? He would be back with the Gryphons in the summer. That meant countless missions and long hours and pretty much no other time to dedicate to forming relationships. Harry struggled to maintain the ones he currently had, and he knew with regret that he had been an elusive godfather to Nate and Teddy. Closeness with another child was just asking for trouble and he didn't want to hurt James if they got any closer.

But as Harry glanced at the field and saw James surrounded by Nate, Teddy, Drew, and Hagrid; all laughing and chatting and gesturing wildly with their hands, he knew that it was already too late. That inexplicable bond between him and James had already been forged and it would hurt him as well if he withdrew. So, with muddled thoughts filling his mind, Harry joined his family on the field.