The Test.

Steven and the Gems are playing a board game. The gems eventually lose to Steven in the game and Steven goes back to his closet to find more games.

Steven: "We got not that sorry, Don't wake father figure, Polypoly, Toppler, Conquerors of eldermore, and noninvasive operation. I think I'm missing a couple pieces from there though. I also have checkers if you want to-"

The sea spire statue rolls out.

Steven: Gasp "The sea spire statue..."

Amethyst: "Pfft, so that's where you left it!"

Steven: "I forgot I still had this... sigh I'm really sorry for forgetting it on that mission one time."

Rose: "Oh, Steven its alright."

Steven: "If I'd just remembered to pack it maybe we would've still had the sea spire. And now it's gone because of me."

Amethyst: "Well, Yeah, but... just don't worry about it dude."

Rose: "You did wonderful on that mission either way."

Garnet: "You did your best in that mission, and that's all that counts."

Steven: "But the sea spire! It was a special important... Gem place!"

Pearl: "Oh, Steven no, no, no, if the spire had been crucial, we wouldn't have used it as a test for you. It's fine. Really."

Steven: "... Test? ... What do you mean... Test?"

The gems behind Pearl start looking concerned.

Pearl: "Uh... Well it wasn't really a "Test," per se, not in the traditional sense. We just wanted to see if you were ready to go on missions!"

Steven: "That's exactly what a test is!"

Pearl: "Ehhh..."

Rose: "Steven, It was to help you out to make you feel ready for missions."

Garnet: "It wasn't something we planned behind your back. We just saw an opportunity and-"

Steven: (Realizing) "And I failed. I failed the test."

Amethyst: "No way, you got at least a 50%.

Pearl: "Oh and you had that raft, so we didn't have to swim home! That's a solid 75%, Not failing at all! Besides the spire was in much worse condition than we thought, it should've been easier..."

Steven: "I failed an easy test!?!"

Amethyst: "Nice one."

Pearl: "That's not what I meant I-"

Steven: "No! I need another test, a hard one!"

Pearl: "But Steven you've come so far."

Steven: "Test me! Test me!"

Rose: "Alright. Let's do one then. Steven give us some time to get one ready for you. You can do whatever until then. Alright?"

Steven: "Thank you!"

Later, It cuts to the gems in front of the temple door.

Rose: "All right Steven, we have modified the temple to make a dungeon for you. This should be the "Test" you will want."

Pearl: "There are four chambers, designed by each of us, to simulate the challenges of a mission. Should you succeed, you'll unlock the final door, where we will be waiting for you."

Steven: "Alright! That's more like it."

Garnet: "Steven, this won't be easy."

Rose: "You'll do great."