Chapter 24 - Helpless

"Addie?" Chimney wakes up as he hears muffled sounds from the living room, "Addie!" He slowly gets up, and shuffles to the door to see Addie thrashing around on the couch. "Addelaide." Chimney says in the doorway. Addie shoots up and looks at him, she is dripping in sweat.

"Chimney... I'm sorry if I woke you." Addie says as she wipes her forehead on her sleeve.

"Are you ok? I heard you talking in your sleep. You sounded scared." Chimney shuffles over to the couch and sits next to her feet.

"You shouldn't be up. You really need your sleep. Your head needs time to heal." Addie says trying to get the attention off of her. She rubs her tired eyes and yawns.

"Addie. I don't care about that right now. Are you ok?" Chimney asks.

"Yeah... Just a bad dream is all." Addie brushes it off like it is nothing.

"Was it about the accident?" Chimney asks as he reaches for her hand. Addie looks down and nods slowly. "Hey... It's ok. I've been having them too... Honestly, I don't want to be alone."

"What do you mean?" Addie looks up.

"Addie, will you please come sleep in my room with me?" Chimney asks quietly, looking straight into her eyes, "I really don't want to be alone... Knowing that you're right there next to me would make me feeling a whole hell of a lot better."

"I'd feel a lot better if I did." Addie responds quietly, nodding her head.

"Come on." Chimney stands up slowly and holds his hands out to help her to her wheelchair, before pushing her into his room.

"So you're scared too?" Addie asks.

"I am... Reasonably so." Chimney helps her out of the wheelchair and onto the bed.

"Yeah." Addie lays down on her side and wraps her arms around the pillow, "I just keep thinking about seeing you after it happened. I felt so helpless."

"I would've too." Chimney says. He walks around to the other side of the bed and climbs under the covers. "Are you sure you're alright with this?"

"Yeah. I am." Addie rolls over to face him.

"Alright... Cool..." Chimney lays down next to her. Addie pulls herself up onto his chest and wraps her arms around his waist. A smile creeps across his face as he places his arm on her back.

"Goodnight, Howie." Addie whispers.

"Goodnight, Addie." Chimney kisses the top of her head.