Chapter 56 - Records

"He seems to be doing very well. Great job on the delivery, Howard." the ER doctor pats Chimney on the shoulder after placing the baby in a bassinet. Chimney looks over to Addie who is sitting in the hallway typing away on her computer trying to find the baby's next-of kin. Defeated, she closes her laptop and slides it back into her bag. Chimney looks down at the baby before quietly walking out into the hallway.

"Nothing?" Chimney asks, sitting next to Addie on the bench.

"Nothing. Her parents are both dead. The father was killed on impact and his parents are both dead. Neither of them had any siblings either... Howie, this baby doesn't have a family." Addie rests her chin in her hands and looks through the nursery window at the baby.

"He's so perfect, somebody will adopt him." Chimney puts his arm around her shoulder.

"He's more than perfect. He's flawless." Addie says as a tear wells up in the corner of her eye.

"Addie." Chimney looks at her, "You want this baby... Don't you?" Addie looks over at him, but doesn't say a word.

"I do." Addie says after a few minutes of silence.

"Then why don't we try to adopt him?" Chimney places his hand on her leg.

"Really?" Addie's eyes light up as she looks back over at the baby.

"Yeah." Chimney kisses her cheek and turns to look at him, "The people from the adoption agency should be here any minute... Why don't we talk to them?"

"I would like that." Addie smiles. Just as he says this, a woman in a dark blue pantsuit enters the emergency room, carrying a briefcase. Chimney stands up and walks over to her. They start talking, but are too far away for Addie to hear. She watches as they smile and nod. After a few minutes they start walking back in Addie's direction.

"Addie, this is Melody Burnett from child services... She would like to ask us a few questions about why we want to adopt him." Chimney smiles.

"Of course." Addie stands up.

"Your fiancé here tells me that the two of you are interested in adopting the baby he delivered today." Melody says.

"We are." Addie says.

"What makes you want to do that?" Melody looks at her.

"He is just so perfect. When I held him in my arms it just felt right." Addie looks at him through the window.

"Good to hear. Since we don't have all of the information on the little guy yet, we can't officially let you adopt him... He will, however, need foster parents while we set the records straight... Would you be interested in that?" Melody smiles. Addie nods her head excitedly.