Chapter 30 - Hold Back

"Diaz." Bobby calls from his office the next morning.

"Yes, cap?" Eddie says as he walks into the office.

"Take a seat." Bobby motions to the chair across from his desk. Eddie hesitantly sits down.

"Am I in trouble?" Eddie looks around.

"No. You're not in trouble... I just want to know what happened last night. You weren't yourself." Bobby looks at Eddie sternly from behind the desk.

"It was nothing... I just was worried about Christopher is all." Eddie says as he looks at the ground.

"Eddie. I've seen you when you've been worried about Christopher... Last night was not a 'worried about Christopher' moment. It was a depressed moment." Bobby sets his elbows on the desk and leans towards Eddie.

"Cap, I'm fine. Just a lot on my mind." Eddie says as tears build up in his eyes.

"Is this about Shannon?" Bobby asks softly and Eddie shakes his head no, "Is it about someone you love?"

"...yes..." Eddie lets a tear slip out of his eye.

"Is it Buck?" Bobby asks.

"How did you know?" Eddie looks up at Bobby, now tears are running down his face.

"It's pretty evident that you care about him... Maybe even more than I thought." Bobby sits up straight.

"You can't tell him anything, cap. He's happy... That's all that matters." Eddie shakes his head trying to get rid of his tears.

"But you're not happy, and that matters too." Bobby looks at him and offers him a tissue.

"No. Not right now. I just want Buck to be happy and Jenny makes him happy. I don't want to take that happiness away from him." Eddie grabs a tissue from the box and holds it under his eyes.

"Eddie. You need to do what makes you happy. Tell Buck. The worst that can happen is he will say that he doesn't like you back." Bobby says.

"That's the problem, cap. I don't want to know that he doesn't like me back. Yeah, there's a small chance that he does like me, but an even larger chance that he doesn't. At least right now I can tell myself that he does. The second I find out that he doesn't, I'm ruined." Eddie looks up at Bobby.

"You're ruined right now, Eddie. The longer you hold this in, the worse it is going to be for you." Bobby stands up.

"I'm a strong man, cap. I can hold back feelings." Eddie looks at Bobby and stands up.

"You're not doing to well with holding them back right now." Bobby looks at him.