Prove It

Chapter Eighteen

*~*~*~*

"51 has the best food in town." Spellman grinned as he helped himself to the breakfast Peter was making for everyone at the start of shift. "Where'd you learn how to cook?"

"My family owns a restaurant," Peter told him as he scooped some hash browns onto the man's plate. "Been behind a grill since I was a kid."

"Any update on Heather's friend, Jen?" Severide asked Matt, the question instantly catching most of the others' attention. All of them eager for any updates on Heather's case after she'd been arrested for a DUI the previous week, one that had landed her friend in the hospital.

"Still in critical condition," Matt shook his head.

"How are the boys?" Scout asked, not having had a chance to stop by his place to see how they were doing herself. Though she knew her brother was still in shock about the fact he was now responsible for the two Darden boys.

"As far as they know, Mom's on a trip," Matt shared the lie he'd fed them. "Hopefully they'll be home soon. If it hadn't been for Gaby, they'd have shown up to school an hour late wearing pajamas."

"Yeah, that smelled like beer," Gaby added.

"There goes breakfast." Scout sighed as the alarm went off for a car accident.

*~*~*~*

Scout rested her head against the bathroom wall as she sat on the sink while Shay and Gaby both took the opportunity to shower between calls.

"I'm telling you Renee looked pissed running out of here!" Gaby told the others about what she had witnessed earlier that afternoon when the Royce woman had stopped by to see Severide.

"What if I was wrong about the due date?" Shay asked.

"That would be bad, Shay," Gaby stated the obvious.

"But you weren't wrong," Scout quickly added, still believing the blonde's theory. "You're right about it not lining up with the supposed conception. Plus, who would you rather say is the father of your baby-- some foreign fling or a well-respected firefighter?"

"I don't think I was wrong, but I'm not a fricking obstetrician," Shay groaned.

"Taking too long!" Cruz pounded on the door.

"Remember as McLeod said, "only forty-two ounces of potable water per employee per week."" Otis added.

"Shove off!" Scout shouted back at them just as Shay and Dawson both turned off their showers.

"Sounds like you saved the day with Griffin and Ben this morning," Shay pointed out as both of them wrapped towels around themselves before stepping out of the showers.

"Yeah," Gaby smiled at the mention of the Darden boys. "I love those boys, but hanging there with Casey? It's not exactly helping me move on. You know what? I have been traveling in too small a circle, if you know what I'm saying. The world does not start and end at Firehouse 51."

"That is so damn true," Shay agreed.

"Let's go!" Otis knocked.

"I have seen you both naked a hundred times!" Cruz pointed out. "Just open the door, so I can take a shower!"

"We really need to get out more," Gaby muttered.

"Yes we do," Scout hummed in agreement.

"Speaking of getting out..." Shay turned her attention to Scout as she brushed her hair.