Different Mistakes

Chapter Thirty-Two

*~*~*~*

Scout was quiet as she rode shotgun with Antonio. Her eyes were trained on the passing scenery as he drove them towards their latest crime scene in Chinatown, the team having been handed over the case. Her silence didn't go unnoticed by her partner. The man sparing her a glance as he pulled onto their street.

"What's going on in that head of yours now?" Antonio questioned.

"Just thinking about this case," she gave a small shrug of her shoulders as he parked the car right behind Jay's, the other man having just arrived as well. "Wondering how bad it'll be."

"How bad it'll be or how long it'll take?" He raised a knowing brow at her before climbing out of the car. She followed his lead, a frown tugging at the corners of her lips at his question.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She countered.

"That I know you. And I know you're worried about the case going into the weekend and having to miss the hockey game." He spoke bluntly, not having forgotten about the tickets she'd won at the raffle at Molly's awhile back.

"Just for that, maybe I'll give Matt the second ticket instead," she threatened.

"Not a chance in hell. You already said it was mine," he shook his head. "Find another way to get back in your brother's good graces."

"What'd she do to piss Casey off this time?" Jay asked, overhearing the end of the pair's discussion as they joined him and Lindsay in front of the building.

"Just the cookout last week," Scout clued the other two in. Before anyone could say anything else on the subject though they were greeted by Voight arriving.

"Let's go." Voight told the team before heading inside, leaving the detectives to follow after him.

Together the group headed up the stairs right inside the door to the second floor. Numerous officers filled the floor-- some taking statements from witnesses while others were busy photographing and documenting the scene.

"Triad casino," Voight scanned over the scene.

"A lot of money rolls through here," Jay commented.

"You feeling lucky?" Erin shared a glance with her fellow female detective as they walked past a poker table. Cards and money still littered the top of it, people having been in the middle of a game when chaos had broken out.

"Hmm, definitely luckier than some." Scout hummed as they all wandered back to a room in back hallway. Police tape blocked off the doorway to the public, but with the door being left wide open it did nothing to block the bloody scene inside. In the moderately sized room were the bodies of five men. Their blood painted the walls from the gunshots they'd each taken to the head.

"Over here," Antonio nodded to the body in the corner of the room. Unlike the others in the room, this body was that of a boy, no more than thirteen years old-- at max. His blood had spilled out onto the floor from a gunshot wound to the chest. "They killed the damn errand boy too."

"Detectives." They all looked towards the door at the sound of a new voice, finding another officer standing there. "I've got one of the tech guys in the next room. He's got the security footage."

"Well let's see what kind of assholes we're dealing with this time." Scout muttered, forcing herself not to look at the boy's body again as she slipped back under the police tape and into the hallway. The others followed her lead, all of them heading into the next room. Sure enough they found a young man sitting in front of several monitors with the footage from just an hour earlier pulled up.