A Little Devil Complex

Chapter Fifty-Three

*~*~*~*

"Where is he?" Gaby checked her watch for the third time as she and Scout stood together outside several downtown offices. Dozens of people passing the duo by as they went about their daily lives, entirely oblivious to the dangers each of the women faced day in and day out to protect them.

"He said he'd be here after he checked in with Voight. Relax," Scout patted her friend on the shoulder, trusting her boyfriend to keep his word. 

"I still don't get why he couldn't just come straight here with you," a sigh escaped the Dawson woman's lips. Neither her nor Scout having been able to relax since the Cunningham broke the news the night before. Though before taking the news to Voight himself, Gaby wanted to take the chance to discuss the matter with her brother first. Neither her nor Scout really wanting to go over his head right off the bat. 

"Well, the answer to that's just easy. It's the same reason Matt would've gone to Boden first," the corners of Scout's lips flickered upwards. "Our brothers are the rule followers while we tend to prefer asking for forgiveness rather than permission."

"If that's not the truth I don't know what is." Antonio chimed in as he approached the women, noticing the building they were standing just a few yards away from. "That's the place?"

"Yeah, that's where Adrian Gish works," Gaby nodded.

"And how sure are you two that he's the arsonist responsible for Shay's death?" Antonio questioned as they started walking down the sidewalk together. 

"We wouldn't have dragged you out here if we had any doubts, Toni," Scout assured him.

"We found the fire factory. We mapped out his fires," Gaby added. "I mean, he basically admitted it to Severide when he confronted him."

"But OFI can't prove it," the corners of Antonio's lips turned downwards as he ran through the facts in his head.

"You know how hard it is to prove arson," Gaby shook her head.

"All right," Antonio sighed. "Point him out to me."

With that said, the trio made their way into Gish's office building. Antonio and Scout each flashing their badges to get them knowledge of Gish's floor. As soon as they stepped out of the elevator on the tenth floor, Gaby and Scout both started scanning the cubicle filled office floor for the man. Both having seen pictures of him from Severide.

"There. That's him," Gaby spotted him towards the far corner first. Raising her hand to direct her brother and friend's attention. They watched as Gish carried a box towards his own desk, seemingly oblivious to the presence of the firefighter and detectives. 

"Okay, both of you stay back." Antonio warned them. 

"But--" Scout started to argue, more than prepared to remind him that he wasn't the only one with a badge amongst them.

"Stay back." Antonio repeated himself. Scout only rolled her eyes, but indeed stuck close to Gaby as Antonio made his way across the room. "Excuse me. You Adrian Gish?"

"I am." Gish offered the trio a smile when he turned around to face them, glancing between the leather jacket clad man before him and the women lingering a few feet away.

"Antonio Dawson. Chicago PD," he showed him his badge. "You mind if we go somewhere and have a conversation?"

"Regarding?" Gish questioned, his gaze drifting back to where Gaby and Scout stood.