We Don't Work Together Anymore

Chapter Fifty-One

*~*~*~*

"So tomorrow's the big day?" Adam threw an arm around Scout's shoulders as he and Kevin headed downstairs alongside the woman. Voight having announced that the team was taking little trip over to Erin's new office. Something about her task force needing an extra hand with their current case.

"Excuse you?" Scout raised a brow at the younger man.

"Word is that you've got another meeting with your lawyer tomorrow. Think all that is finally gonna be settled?" Kevin elaborated. It had been just under two weeks since Vanessa had called Scout to inform her of Carly's lawyer wanting another meeting. Though between Scout working and Carly having had a trip planned for herself for the week before, the meeting was set to take place the following day.

"Hopefully," Scout shrugged. While Vanessa had seemed to be optimistic about the meeting herself, Scout found herself somewhat reluctant to allow herself to think so positively. She refused to underestimate Carly after all the years she'd known the woman.

"Oh, check you out." Kevin averted his attention to where his former partner was standing in Platt's place behind the central desk. "When did you pass the Sergeant's exam?"

"Don't ask," Burgess rolled her eyes. "What's going on?"

"Lindsay's task force called us in," Adam clued her in. "How you doing, first day back and all? You all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Kim nodded.

"You sure?" Scout pressed.

"Yes, I'm fine," Kim assured all three of them. "Come on, get out of here."

"Okay," Kevin pushed away from the desk, as did Scout. Though Adam took the chance to lean over the desk to press a kiss to her lips, only causing the woman to chuckle before giving him a small push.

"I don't care who knows it." Adam grinned, letting Kevin and Scout drag him towards the door.

"Hey," Scout caught Kevin's attention once they got outside. The man looking her way before her parted ways-- he and Adam heading towards his car while she headed towards Antonio's. "Dawson and I ever get like that, make sure you put one between my eyes. Got it?"

"Aye-aye," Kevin chuckled.

*~*~*~*

"Our CI, Kylie, was supposed to alert us if anything went sideways. Best we got is that she tipped off Mendoza before we raided." Erin's new boss, David Lang, briefed the team once they'd all gathered Chicago field office. "We think they're still in Chicago, most likely looking for alternative means to move their cartel cash to Mexico."

"And that's where our unit-- your unit-- sorry-- comes in." Erin corrected herself, her slip up earning an amused look from Jay in the process. "You guys know Chicago. We need your help tracking down the key players in Mendoza's operation."

"Sounds good," Voight nodded.

"We need Intelligence to focus on Mendoza's three lieutenants-- Emilio Quentin, Eduardo Fuentes, and Franco Gamboa." Erin pulled their pictures up on the front wall. "We find them, they'll lead us to Mendoza and the money and hopefully Kylie."

"Lieutenants it is," Voight agreed.

"You know, there are other guys in the cartel," Olinsky pointed out. "You look into any of them?"

"Mendoza is the only Zeta members we were able to get eyes on," Lang told them. "But if you find a name, follow it down."

"We got a problem." Another task force member, Castillo, spoke up. "Kylie's brother just filed a missing-persons report."