58: Manal

The frigid breeze of December came in contact with my face, making me close my eyes on impulse.

I spread out my arms, allowing the sensational feel of the atmosphere engulf me.

Pure bliss.

I was excited-excited because I had just concluded my second semester's examinations and because I was a potential four hundred level student.

How time flies!

It had been a very long time-two and a half year to be precise, but each time I recalled how Abii had embarrassed me by going to Jawaad's house and warning him to stay far away from me, otherwise, he would file a case against him for harassment, I recoil in shame.

So cringy!

Abii had told me to focus on my studies-which I was doing quite well. He made me promise not to pay any attention to suitors, otherwise he was going to withdraw me from the school.

...and as punishment, he took back his promise to buy me a car.

I didn't have any reasons to pay attention to suitors though, because my heart already belonged to someone else. And I was holding on to the promise we made to each other-the promise he had made to me.

He told me he was acquiescent to wait for me to conclude my studies..

Since then, I hadn't let go of the promise. I held unto it tightly.

I couldn't wait to finish my studies.

"A little more time to go, in Sha Allah." I smiled and wrapped my arms around myself in a hug, clutching my purse in the process.

"Hey!"

Na'eem's voice jarred me to awareness.

I made sure to wipe the smile off my face, before turning around to meet an irritated Na'eem. "Hey too."

"So you've been here all along?" He rolled his eyes. "I have searched practically everywhere for you. What are you doing down here all alone?"

I shrugged a shoulder. "Nothing in particular. The breeze is cool, don't you think? I'm enjoying it here."

"Yeah." Na'eem agreed. "It's because of the many trees around."

"How was the exam?" I asked him.

"It was.." he pursed up his lips. "okay, I guess."

"Just okay?" I sneered. I knew he was just being his humble self. Without being told, I knew he aced his final paper. He definitely did.

"Alhamdulillah." He chuckled. "How was it for you?"

"What do you think?"

"I think it was very very very very.." he kept on stressing the 'very'. "...easy for you. You kept on asking for extra sheets, plus, you were the first to submit."

I laughed. "First class no be by extra sheet o."

He laughed along.

"When are you going back home?"

"Probably tomorrow. How about you?"

"Today. My father is already on his way here to pick me."

"Woah! So soon?" His eyes dilated. "I can see your dad hasn't stopped being overprotective of you. He's even taking the trouble to come pick you up himself."

Wordlessly, I sighed. It had always being like that. Almost all of my friends knew the type of parents I had.

I had told Na'eem all about the issue with Jawaad. To say he was surprised was an understatement, but he still tried to make me understand why they had to do that. In his word; they were only looking out for me, because I was still very young.