101: Jawaad & Manal*

People fall in love in mysterious ways.

I used to think I'd never fall in love with Manal, talk more of getting married to her, but after I got to know her better, I realized she was precisely the lady I needed in my life.

The fact that she was finally mine in the halal way evoked mixed feelings within me. I was exhilarated, and at the same time, I was concerned about how she would adapt to living without the family she grew up in. As much as possible, I wanted to give her all the comfort there is. I wanted to be the reason for her smile and joy. I wanted to prove to her that she made one of the wisest decisions in her life to get married to me. More than anything else, I wanted to express my love for her again…to take her in my arms and whisper sweet nothing's. There were numerous things I wanted to do, but the time seemed to have stopped moving. I couldn't help but wonder when everyone would leave, and I would have my alone time with my newly wedded wife.

I was already tired of being with my friends, and fortunately for me, I had only a few.

A knock on the door jarred me to awareness. “Assalamu alaikum. Jawaad, are you in there?” Came mum's voice.

“Yes, mum,” I responded and stood up to go and open the door. “Just a second.”

“I want to have a word with you.” She said.

“Sure,” I closed the door behind me and followed her to her room.

Mum sat near her bed, while I took the couch.

“Jawaad,” she began.

I suppressed the urge to sigh. I just knew I was going to get an earful.

“I know I have already said this like a million times already, but I will say it to you again now,” she swallowed. “A new phase of your life has begun today. You are no longer responsible for just yourself, me and your sister. Someone else's daughter is going to leave her home and build a new one with you.”

I nodded, completely getting where she was heading to.

“Please,” she beseeched. “Do not give that innocent girl any chance to complain to me or to her parents about you. Treat her as a wife, not a slave because she definitely isn't one. You understand what I mean, right?”

Again, I nodded. I absolutely did.

“Do not cheat her in any way because if that happens, believe me, I'm not going to take it likely with you.”

“I won't,” I promised.

She smiled. “Thank you. It's unfortunate that your dad isn't here to witness this day with us. He would have been so happy.” Tears welled up in mum's eyes, and in mine as well, but I was quick to blink the tears away. I wanted to avoid getting mum more emotional that she already was.

“If he can see us now, I'm sure he is happy,” I gave a reassuring smile. “How does it feel, mum?” I changed the topic.

She furrowed her brows. “What?”

“To finally get the daughter-in-law of your dreams,” I chuckled.

Mum huffed.

“At some point, I thought you were going to disown me if I refused to get married to her. You like her that much, huh?” It pleased me a lot to know that the most important person in my life liked my wife like her daughter. I couldn't ask for anything better.

“Of course, I do,” she responded. “That girl is well-behaved. I'm sure she's going to make a perfect wife for you, and you're going to make a perfect husband to her as well. You both deserve each other. You deserve all the happiness in the world, my boy, and I pray the almighty grants you that. As a mum, I'm fulfilled, knowing that both my children are married to good spouses. My prayer, for you and Farida, is that it remains like that forever.”