Chapter 8

Carlisle, Eleazar, Rosalie, and Mary are all inside the house while the others talk outside. Eleazar brings the pregnant human a glass of blood and as she grabs it, her spine snaps. She gasps as she falls. Carlisle is quick to catch his mate and Eleazar yells out for Carmen. Carmen sees the situation when she and Irina come inside, and they go to clean the dining table off as Carlisle picks Mary up and he carries her to the dining room.

"He's suffocating!" Mary screams. "Get him out!"

"Mary, Mary, I'm gonna get him," Carlisle urges. "I'm gonna get him."

Carlisle grabs the scalpel from Alice, she made a quick trip to the local hospital and stole a few. He cuts into Mary's torso and she screams in agony as Eleazar drags a hungry Rosalie out of the house. Venom fills Carlisle's eyes as he begins biting through the tomb since the scalpel won't penetrate.

Carlisle pulls the baby and the after birth out and he looks at his fiancée. "It's a boy."

Mary smiled weakly at him and Carlisle lets her hold their son, even though he knows she's due to die any second. He knows she'd want to hold him. Mary smiled weakly at her son.

When he bites her, Carlisle takes him and Mary's heart stops.

"Carlisle, I've got him," Esme says as she enters.

Carlisle passes his son on to Esme and he rushes back to Mary. "Hold on, baby."

Carlisle bites into Mary's neck, her arms, legs, and even her abdomen to make sure his venom gets into her veins and he brushes her hair out of her face.

"Rosalie!" He calls out and the blonde appears.

"Clean her up and change her clothes before she wakes up, please," Carlisle says. "I need to check on the baby. Be sure he is actually healthy."

Rosalie nods and Carlisle finds Esme outside with the baby boy. She smiles and she hands the cleaned up son in a sleeper outfit.

Carlisle carefully takes him

Carlisle carefully takes him. "You look healthy enough," he whispers as he cradles him. "Your mommy did have a name picked out for you. Wyatt."

"Why Wyatt?"

"Damn her," Elias grumbles. "When she was with Charley, when the cops caught his ass and shot him, she was pregnant with a little boy. She lost him. His name would have been James Wyatt."

"She chose Wyatt James for him," Carlisle says, "if a boy. And she would have chosen Elizabeth for a girl. Which is her middle name."

"And my sister's," Jasper concludes. "What is he?"

"He's a mix of me and Mary," Carlisle says. "Human and vampire."

Jasper looks at baby Wyatt and he furrows his brows. "He's hungry. What will he eat?"

"Carmen is getting some formula," Eleazar says. "We will try that and blood. Irina just got back with some blood from the blood bank. Wyatt might want both blood and formula as he ages."

Carlisle frowns and he looks at Wyatt. "Don't worry, son, your mom will wake up in a few days."

Carlisle peers down at his son, and he actually smiles a little bit.