Chapter 18: Wolves

"You won't believe who I just saw healthy as a carrot" I barge in Bella's room; she was pacing around in circles. Her hair was messy like she had passed her fingers obsessively through it. She did not acknowledge me it was like she did not hear me talking at all.

"Bella" I called her, she spun around with a gasp and holding her hands to her chest "Are you okay?"

"I saw Laurent" she whispered, I frowned

"Who?"

"Laurent was one of the three nomads that traveled with James" Bella explained with hurried breaths, my heart skipped "You met Victoria – she was James' mate-, Laurent used to travel with them but did not want to go against the Cullens so he left them to go and join the Denali clan, up in Alaska claiming he wanted to commit to the vegetarian lifestyle"

I took out my inhaler, shaking it and taking a hit.

"I went to find the meadow that Edward used to take me to" she sat beside me on the bed, I took another hit because I still could not catch my breath "I wanted to somehow feel close to him and thought that maybe being in the place that was once so special to us would make the trick"

"What happened?" I squeaked out with the little air I was getting into my lungs.

"I had just gotten there and Laurent showed up" Bella looked like she was about to burst into tears, I placed my hand on hers "I then heard Edward's voice telling me to lie to him, to tell Laurent that they were away but still in touch with me"

Bella glanced nervously out of the window "Laurent he said that they had abandoned their pet"

I did not make any comment, all I wanted to know was how in the hell did she managed to get out of there unscarred.

"When he was about to bite me..." Bella bit her lip, my eyes bulged "Wolves came out of nowhere, they started to chase him and I ran as fast as I could to get back to the truck"

"Wolves?"

"Bear size, wolves" Bella nodded still agitated "Do you remember how everybody was talking about all the mauled hikers that had been found?"

I nodded "Bear attacks"

"No" Bella shook her head "Wolves attacks, it was never bears, it's a pack of like 4 wolves, huge ones"

"Are you sure?" I could not help but ask, my sister was making up illusions of Edward talking to her perhaps she was imagining all of this as well?

"I am 100 % sure" she squeezed my hand "I already told Charlie, he and the rest of the of Forks' PD are going hunting but it's useless, Laurent must've already kill them all"

"Bella what are we going to do?" I asked her taking another hit form my inhaler.

"I guess he is going to tell Victoria that we are alone and unprotected" Bella rubbed her free hand on her face "I think she wants me more since Edward killed James, so maybe I can keep her away from you"

Chill ran down my spine at the thought of the wild red haired vampire "Are you crazy?!"

"What other options do we have?" Bella snapped "The Cullens are gone, we have no way to contact them and how are we going to stop a vampire from killing us?"

A little guilt settled in the pit of my stomach, I had a way to contact them, Maggie. However, she had not replied to the email I sent her about 6 days ago.

"You are not playing the sacrifice lamb" I rolled my eyes "We are in this together, I am not letting you go out and get yourself killed"

"So what?" Bella stood up from the bed and resumed the pacing around the room "Are we both going to die?"