Invitation

Rome, April 2021

Damiano

It had been seven months and I still haven't been able to get her pretty red hair and dark eyes out of my mind. I have tried multiple times, I've even tried meeting other women, but it was pointless. All of them looked beautiful, but none of them could ever match her. Principessa. 

I would often wonder about what she was doing and if she was still rude to all of the customers who would walk into the care after closing hours. If she had actually worked there. If her hair was still long and red, or if she had colored it differently. If her skin was still pretty pale in oppose to mine and if anyone else had dared to put their hands on her. The thought of somebody hurting her made me feel rage and fury. The night of the concert had never left my mind, her scared and trembling body in my arms. Those terrified eyes and pale lips...

Funny, she was never mine and I've only spent a few hours with her, but I've always had the feeling as if I've known her my entire life. I tried finding her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, any social media but the fact that I've had no idea what her last name was made it impossible for me to trace her. There were thousands of Amelias all around the world.  I was so stupid for letting her go without taking her number or asking her for any type of contact whatsoever. I didn't even know anything much about her, what her hobbies were, what she loved to do in her free time, what scared her the most, if she liked to cook, whether she had any pets... All of those basic, banal questions were still a mystery for me, but I had no idea how and where to find that out. 

The whole period of seven months, I was hoping to see her on the streets of my city...Our city, by accident. Her words never stopped ringing inside of my head. Maybe we'll meet again. I was waiting, and waiting... My heart would jump at the very sight of any girl that even resembled her, but would quickly drop as soon as I would realize that it was just another copy of the woman I had fallen for the fastest. 

"I had no idea that you were so nice and that you would help me like this.", she was looking into my eyes and staring right into my soul. "You saved my life, Damiano.", she said, slowly and quietly, as if it were our little secret. 

"Who knows, maybe one day you save mine.", I was hoping that would be the case, and that's when I wanted to know the taste of her lips. But I couldn't...She was still scared and hurt, and I didn't want to make it seem as if I was taking advantage of that. 

But she looked so beautiful in my jacket. I've never liked giving out my things to strangers, but her... She took my breath away before she even had taken the clothing. 

I hated the fact that I had to move my face away from her, but I got a bit distracted with the view of her wearing something that's mine, over that beautiful black dress in which she looked mesmerizing. The very thought of her body in that dress made me feel excited.

 "It looks nice on you.", I had complimented her looks with honesty, although I could see that she wasn't too happy.

 "Yeah... it's a cool jacket."

"You can keep it if you want to.", I stood up and started walking towards the big closet, then pulling something out of it. "I have a lot of those and I like the way it suits you.", then I've taken out the only material thing and only sentimental thing that I've still had with me, despite the memories. 

My eyes averted towards the brown coat that was still hung on the jacket holder in my room. Amongst my many leather jackets and shirts that were hanging from the rack, there was still her coat that I've managed to wash, but the funniest part was that, even after having it washed, I could still scent her perfume whenever I would come near it. 

I was sitting in my room, slow music playing in the background, and my mind filled with her. 

Amelia, Amelia, Amelia... Where are you now?

Maybe she didn't want me to find her. Maybe she already had somebody but, of course, I couldn't have known that. Maybe she never even thought about me after that night. Maybe I was just too lonely and too emotional at that period of time and wanted to feel something normal, I wanted to meet a girl who wasn't looking at me through success but my personality instead. Why didn't she ever follow me, or anyone from my group?

All of those questions made me feel more helpless and brokenhearted. I had to move on, I knew it. I had to forget about everything and find something real.

That's when I've received a call from Vic.

"Damiano, we're officially contestants at the Eurovision!" , she sounded so excited and happy. The decision was between us and another famous artist from Italy, but they have finally decided to have us at the contest. 

"That's amazing to hear, Vic!", I was happy as well, I was over the moon. "Where?"

"Rotterdam.", my heart dropped again. "The Netherlands."

I hung up the phone and stared into the blank wall for a while before realizing what was happening. This would be the biggest moment in our career and we could really make something big out of this. Also... I was very close to the person that I'd just made the decision of forgetting about. 

The Universe will never let me forget, will it?