Distance

France, October 2022

His eyes felt heavy, drowsiness taking over him. The day felt too long, and it was only 10PM. The only thing he had wanted to see was her, feeling her hands caressing his face and her warm breath on his neck.

Distance was separating them, and days without her were killing him. It was as if somebody had pulled out his heart and left it in a cage right with her. It's been almost a month and he still could not get adjusted to any activities without her by his side.

Damiano was staring through the blurred out glass window of the taxi, little droplets sliding down the surface. It was a cold night and he had a bit much of drinks. For a moment he got excited about going back to the hotel and calling Amelia on face time, but he knew that he couldn't do it. She was already asleep and he had let her down once again. After a promise that he would Face Time her as soon as the band comes back from their rehearsal, which ended at 7PM, he decided to go for 'just one drink with the bandmates' and then go to bed, but he was stuck for too long with fans and other artists who had happened to be at the same place at the same time. The dizziness and nausea he had felt was incomparable to any other sickness he had ever felt. But, it wasn't the alcohol, he didn't take any drugs, it wasn't the tiredness itself.

It was the feeling of betrayal and guilt.

He had wondered on how many times he could mess up things, and how many times would the poor, worried and lonely girl decide to forgive him.

***

Roma, October 2022

With a bottle of wine open and a lot of tissues on the couch, Amelia was sitting alone in a dark room and contemplating on whether or not she should call Damiano and tell him how she felt. She was completely aware and understood the fact that he was busy, and working, and that he was tired, but she was tired as well. Tired of having to make up excuses in her own head for his mistakes. Tired of having understanding for people who never understood her. She was terrified that the same scene from the beginning would happen and that another Nina would just walk into his life and so easily replace her, as if she had never existed.

With trembling hands and a heart full of sorrow, she held the phone and dialed a number she did not plan to call at the time.

"Hello", a concerned voice spoke after only a few rings.

"Hi... Lena. How are you?", Amelia tried hard not to start crying again.

"Everything's fine. What about you", she paused. "Amelia... Are you crying?"

Right then, a river of tears started falling from her eyes and Amelia sobbed in desperation.

"Amelia, what's wrong? Talk to me...", Lena begged.

The sound of her best friend's voice could not soothe her as she had expected so she hung up the phone immediately and covered her face with her hands. She knew she was alone and she hated it. She hated the panic she had felt, the heaviness of distance and lack of trust she had. The self-esteem which would disappear any time a woman would approach her fiancé.

That's when she blacked out.