Volunteer

Amelia

The place was huge! I was so nervous regarding the whole event and I couldn't help but panic regarding the whole situation. A lot of scenarios had gone through my mind... What if I get lost, what if I mess up the schedule, what if I don't get along well with the band...

I just wish I could see him, just one more time. Just to look at those eyes and hear his thick accent while he's speaking to me.

I had wandered into the room where the Italians were supposed to hang out and started re-organizing the things... There had been some empty cardboard boxes from the decorations and equipment, so I've picked them up and threw them outside. Some pictures of Rome and Venice had been placed on the table, so I hanged them above the small sofa. I had picked up the empty plastic bottles and threw them away as well. Soon enough, the room was clean and organized again.

Working as a volunteer wasn't such a bad idea, it was nothing too hard, so it seemed and the money was pretty decent although we had been called "volunteers". When I had finished everything, I've sat down on the sofa and decided to investigate the teams that were performing on ESC.

I had checked out Azerbaijan, France, Belgium, Norway... They were all pretty good artists and I liked the songs that had been picked out. Suddenly, somewhere at the bottom of the list I have found a name which made me look twice.

I thought I was dreaming and my heart palpitated, either from excitement or fear. The name slowly rolled off my tongue and I had realized then that my thoughts and hopes could easily come true, but not in the way that I wanted them to.

The name was stuck in my head for the next fifteen minutes until I was invited to go to the hotel by the crew bus.

Maneskin, ESC 2021 contestants for Italy.