sixteen

"Come on Kitty, lighten up! There are other mutants here too," Corinne muttered as they walked through the halls of Charles' school. Kitty was only 4 years old when her abilities came out, really young but with all the trauma she's been through... She sighed as Kitty ran towards the other kids and started talking to them, it's been almost a month since she's been helping Charles and if she had to be honest. It was tiring, she shook her head and sat at the bottom of the stairs before seeing Raven in front of her. 

"Something on your mind?" Raven asked curiously, Corinne sighed and nodded as Raven sat next to her. Corinne promised she's visit Alex but with how busy it's been, she hadn't gotten the time to leave. "Just tired," Corinne muttered, Raven nodded and looked around the school before looking back at Corinne. "We did pretty well," she said, "Look how many kids are here now," Raven added. 

Corinne nodded and quickly sighed, that was true, however it wasn't the same. "You're thinking about Alex aren't you?" Raven asked. Corinne looked at Raven confused and shook her head, "I can tell by the look on your face, there's no point in hiding," she laughed. Corinne sighed and looked away, "I would tell you to go visit him but we're extremely busy, I'm sure he'd understand," Raven said before standing up. "Anyways, I got to go talk to Bobby, he's been messing with the heater," Raven muttered before rolling her eyes. "That kid," 

"I don't know how you deal with him," Corinne laughed before standing up, Raven scoffed and walked away. "Miss Dane?" a voice said from behind, Corinne turned around and stared at Ryan, one of the newly recruited mutants. She stood up straight and stared at him curiously, "Do you know where Professor X is?" he asked. Corinne shook her head and he sighed before walking away. 

"Ah! Corinne there you are!" a voice said from across the room, Corinne turned to see Hank who was walking towards her with a file, "We have another mutant we want you to collect, her name is Sarah and her ability is clairvoyance," Hank said before handing her the file. Corinne held her breath and slowly shook her head, "I'm sorry, I really have to go see Alex," she said quickly, "I promise, I'll be back in at least a week okay?" she asked before heading towards the front door. 

Hank followed her and grabbed onto her arm, "We need you to help us," he said, Corinne sighed and shook her head again, "And I'm sorry Hank but I really have to see him," she muttered, Hank groaned in annoyance. He sighed, "Can't you see him after this case at least?" he asked desperately. Corinne closed her eyes and opened them before finally nodding, she grabbed the files and quickly stormed out of the school. 

She opened the file and looked at the girl, she was a 13 year-old with brown hair and brown eyes, she lived in- New York? But that was just around here? Corinne frowned and quickly walked back inside the school to look for Hank. Why did they want her to go? She walked towards Charles' office and quickly dropped the files onto his desk. He turned around and faced her confused. "What is it?" he asked. 

"What is it?" she repeated loudly, "Why are you giving me bullshit assignments while you guys just sit around here all day?" Corinne shouted, "Do you not want me to leave or something?" she asked. "Raven was available, why didn't you ask her?" Charles sighed and quickly wheeled towards Corinne slowly. Corinne then sighed, "Why don't you want me to see Alex?" she asked curiously. 

Charles sighed, "Corinne, you are a very useful to us," he muttered, "I'm afraid that if you go see Alex you won't come back," he said slowly looking into her eyes. Corinne looked away and scoffed before knocking some books down from his bookshelf. "I will," she said quickly, "I promise," she muttered. Charles sighed and nodded before Corinne stared at him curiously, "So can I go?" she asked. Charles nodded. 

--

Corinne thrashed around in her sleep and screamed, it was the same dream over and over again. "Alex," she whispered before wiping the tears off her eyes. She sat up and walked out of her room in fear, she looked around to see a few mutants staying up and watching TV. Corinne walked through the hallway and sat down against the wall. 

She stared at her hands, what if it was her who killed him, what if that's why Charles didn't want her to go? "Can't sleep?" a voice said from above. Corinne looked up to see Hank who seemed to look tired, she frowned. "Nightmares actually, I don't know what they stand for," she muttered. Hank sat next to her and stared at her curiously, "What are they about?" he asked. 

"Alex," Corinne whispered, "They're always about him, and it's always the same thing, I wake up and he's dead." she looked at Hank who frowned confused. "I've been having the same nightmare almost every single night, it's- it's terrifying actually," she said shakily. "I don't want to be apart from him any longer because what if-" Hank stared at her and shook his head. 

He sighed, "Don't say that," Hank interrupted, "He's powerful and you guys are still young, he won't be gone for awhile," Hank said, "And, about those dreams, I can probably check out what's up with those, it's probably nothing though. You probably just care about him a lot," Corinne stared at him thankfully and nodded, "In return, you'll stay another month okay?" Hank asked. 

Corinne felt her heart drop, another month? "What?" she asked confused, "Why another- Hank, what about Alex?" she said, her voice raising, she then stood up and shook her head in disbelief. She had to see him! She had to! Hank sighed, "I'm sorry, it's take around two weeks for the test results to come back, I suppose you'll have to tell him you can't go." Hank muttered. Corinne sighed and quickly looked away. What would Alex think of her now?