forty-two

"Corinne, I know you're upset," Corinne ignored Charles as he followed her through the hallways, "Corinne just stop for a second and listen to me!" Charles said sternly. Corinne stopped walking and turned back to face him, "Screaming at a guest isn't polite though, you are one of the faces of this school, act like it," Charles warned. Corinne watched as he wheeled away from her and she rolled her eyes, she then sighed before sitting at the bottom of the stairs. "Hi hi Miss Dane!" Corinne looked back to see Kitty who went to sit right next to her.

Kitty smiled and put her thumbs up before nodding, "Smile! It's almost your birthday, did you forget?" Kitty asked curiously. Corinne blinked surprised and frowned before grabbing onto Kitty's hand, "It really is, huh." Corinne said before standing up, "I didn't even realize," she stammered. Kitty stared at Corinne confused before shrugging and standing up, "It's on the night of the school dance, you're going to be at the dance though aren't you?" Kitty asked quickly. Corinne nodded slowly and Kitty grinned before skipping away, Corinne sighed and walked upstairs.

Corinne entered her room and closed the door before tears immediately fell from her face, why did she get so upset so easily? Why couldn't she be better? She sobbed quietly before sitting against the front door, Corinne wiped her tears off and stood up before going to her bed, she laid down and curled herself into a ball. Maybe if she didn't have these- you're perfect the way you are. Don't forget that. Erik's voice echoed in her mind, Corinne blinked, Erik! Of course, she could go visit him whenever she wanted to. Corinne stumbled out of the bed and quickly grabbed her purse, she closed her eyes and phased to the front of the school before sighing.

She opened her eyes and closed her eyes trying to focus on the island of Genosha, Corinne breathed in and out before opening her eyes to reveal the island in front of her. She blinked and in seconds she appeared in front of the camp, Corinne looked around and noticed the other mutants, there were kids here too? "She's part of the X-Men!" a voice said excitedly, "Someone get Erik!" another voice said. Corinne looked at the mutants who were all suddenly coming out to greet her, was she famous or something? "Erik," she whispered quickly, "I need to see Erik," she repeated.

Corinne then noticed her arm phasing and she rolled her eyes before rewinding, "You came all the way here for what? The last time I saw you, you tried to kill me," Erik said as he walked out of a tent. Corinne blinked and laughed before greeting him, "Erik, it's good to see you," she said quickly. Erik nodded and shook her hand lightly, Corinne sighed, "I needed some time alone so I thought I'd come here," she stammered, "I see you're doing a good job with it though," she added with a small smile.

Erik smiled and sighed before patting Corinne's shoulder lightly, "Are you alright? It looks like you've been crying," he muttered curiously. Corinne rubbed her eyes and shook her head quickly before looking away, "I'm fine, just too much work," she muttered annoyed. Erik raised his eyebrows suspiciously and frowned, "You don't have to lie to me," he said, "We're friends, I can tell when something is bothering you," Erik added. Corinne stared at Erik and for the first time she felt safe, and somewhat glad she had someone else to talk to.

"I don't know, it's stupid really," Corinne whispered before looking away, Erik followed her gaze and stared at her curiously, "I don't mind, tell me everything," he said softly. Corinne slowly nodded and followed him towards his tent. They sat down across from each other and Corinne sighed, "It's kinda dumb but there's this new girl who came into the school about a few days ago and I don't know Alex keeps hanging out with her and we've barely had any time together," she muttered, "I just don't feel comfortable anymore," she added slowly.

Erik blinked and nodded, "So you're jealous?" he asked quickly, Corinne's eyes widened and she opened her mouth to deny it but Erik continued, "It's okay to be," he said softly. "I know how it feels to be jealous," he muttered. Corinne blinked confused and shook her head before staring Erik curiously, "Why would you get jealous? Who wouldn't want to be with you?" she asked slowly. Erik stared at her and laughed softly before sighing, "You," he said finally. Corinne stared at Erik in shock before looking away, "Oh," she muttered. For awhile there was an awkward silence before Corinne looked back at Erik who seemed embarrassed.

Corinne then frowned, "Why me?" she asked curiously, Erik stared at her for awhile before sighing. He nodded slowly, "You reminded me of Raven," he said softly, "Determined, powerful and beautiful," Erik added. Corinne blinked and leaned closer towards Erik, he really liked her before? "Beautiful?" Corinne whispered softly. Erik nodded slowly, he stared at her softly before placing his hand on the side of her face, Corinne could feel her heart racing. The tension between the two was growing before he leaned in and kissed her softly. Corinne kissed back gently before immediately pulling away, "I shouldn't," she muttered before standing up. Erik also stood up and nodded, "I'm sorry," he said quickly.

Corinne headed out but before leaving she looked back at Erik, "No Erik. I'm sorry," she whispered, "I'll- uh- see you around," she stammered before walking away. She closed her eyes and opened her palm before phasing back to her room at Charles' school. Corinne touched her lips and cried out before flopping onto the bed, what did she just do? She opened her palm making her water bottle burst into pieces, "What did I just do?" she whispered to herself slowly. "What if Alex found out?" she asked.