12|Mia

*Isabella's POV*

"Guys, when I tell you Luke was scared, I meant it." Johnathanius said as he told us a story about Luke and him when they were 12.

"No I wasn't." Luke interrupted, looking irritated.

We all laughed.

"Hey guys." Mia said as she stood in front of us.

She wore big circular glasses and wasn't very popular. Unlike me, she didn't have a popular bestfriend so she was bullied a lot. We shared most of our classes together. We didn't really talk much before but for the few times we did she was really sweet.

The group that was bursting out of laughter a few seconds ago had now been silent as a lamb.

Amanda was first to break the awkward silence.

"You lost little nerd?" she asked.

"Luke told me I could have lunch with you guys last night." Mia said as she looked on Luke.

"I'm sorry, who are you again?" Luke asked and Tessa and Amanda erupted with laughter.

I watched as water slowly filled her eyes.

"Luke." Miles said, giving him an unapproved look.

"What Miles? I've never spoken to that girl in my entire life. Come on dude, look at her social status compared to mine. I wouldn't want to ruin my reputation. She's a freak." Luke said then laughed.

Mia's eyes were now overflowing with tears and she ran away.

Amanda and Tessa continued to laugh but Miles and Johnathanius stayed quiet.

"You're a real jerk. You know that?" Troy said.

Luke shrugged and everyone continued on with what they were doing before.

They acted like Luke didn't just break a girl's heart.

Come on dude, look at her social status compared to mine.

Did they think about me like that? Mia and I were basically the same.

I picked up my bag and got up.

"Where are you going?" Tessa asked.

I watched as they all stared at me waiting for an answer.

"I forgot to turn in an assignment." I said. They all seemed to believe me although Miles looked at me longer before going back on his phone.

I turned around and walked out of the cafeteria.

I think of where Mia would be. Where would a sobbing girl who just got her broken be. An empty classroom, the library or the bathroom?

I think of where I would would go. Definitely the bathroom.

I opened the bathroom door.

"Mia, are you in here?" I said.

"If you're here to make fun of me just go." she said as she walked out one of the stalls.

My heart sank when I saw her. Her shirt was soaked and her eyes were red and puffy.

"I'm not. I just wanted to see if you were okay." I said giving her a sincere smile.

"Really?"

I nodded my head and gave her a hug.

"Thank you." she said then blew her nose.

"I'm so stupid. I actually believed that prick." she said.

"What did he do?"

"We have been texting for a week now and he said he was sorry for all the times he and his friends bullied me. Last night he asked if I wanted to sit with you guys for lunch and you know how the rest goes." she said having occasional cracks in her voice as she tried to tell the story.

"I'm so sorry he did that to you Mia."

"It's okay. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right?" she said attempting to laugh at her joke to lighten the mood.

The bell rang and we both went to class together.

...

I stare at the centerpiece in Miles' living and he lays down on the couch with his eyes glued to a book in his hand. We haven't talked since we had the argument unless it was something about an assignment. We were waiting on his mom to bring back his car after using it for an errand.

"Where'd you go?" he asked out of the blue while still looking his book.

"Excuse me?" I asked confused of his random question.

He put down his book and sat up.

"At lunch, where did you go? I would've known if you had a project to turn in."

"I have to tell you my whereabouts now?" she asked then folded my arms.

He sighed and ran a hand down in face. He got up and walked over to the chair I want sitting on. His 6'2 large frame body was now hovering over my body. He bent his knees so that we were almost at the same height. He slowly leaned forward until his mouth was next to my ear. I could feel the air being exhaled from his nose falling on the side of my neck.

"Where did you go?" he whispered into my ears.

His gruff voice sent quivers down my neck to my spine.

I swallowed a lump that had been formed and he laughed then went back to his seat.

"Not so talkative anymore are you?" he asked rhetorically.

I stayed quiet for a while.

"I went to see Mia." I admitted.

He looked at me confused. "Who?"

"Mia, the girl that Luke humiliated at lunch today." I said.

He thought for a minute but realized who I was talking about.

"Cool." he said then picked up his book.

I felt rage growing.

"Cool? What do you mean by cool?" I ask.

"What else to you want me to say?" he asked sounding irritated then got up.

"You could've at lease asked if she was okay. You're acting like you don't care." I said then started following him.

"That's because I don't." he said then started climbing the stairs.

"How could you just sit there and allow Luke to say those things about her."

"Luke does it all the time. she'll get over it. My question is why are you getting so worked up about it?" he asked before laying down on his bed.

I stay quiet. Maybe because it was the right thing to do?

"I see why." he said with a smug smirk on his face. "You think I might do that to you."

"No and even if I did you wouldn't have a chance of trying to trick me." I said.

"Don't worry nerd girl, I don't play around with people's feelings." he said and that gave me a sense of relief for some reason.

"You know you don't have to stand there like an idiot right?" he asked with a smirk.

I smiled then sat on his bed. We watched a movie until Mrs. Norman came back. Today I felt like Miles and I took a step forward. We actually talked without arguing. Although it's slow, I can see him starting to warm up to me and letting his guard down.