Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The following day my arm was in noticeably more pain, but the King had rescheduled the museum's opening for the morning. They had pulled in Protectors from the military to ensure the area was secure.

I got dressed slowly and then struggled to put my long hair up. I took off my blazer, it was pushing on the wound when I tried to lift my arms and make myself look in any way presentable.

"Mia, the Prince is on the move to the east wing again. He's a pain in the ass," a voice muttered over my intercom system.

"Joe, he's the Prince," I laughed, dropping my hair for a moment.

"Yeah, but still a pain in the ass. The guy wanders all over the palace, making our lives more difficult. I swear the dude just decided to take a 2 hour walk at midnight!" Joe said with frustration.

I laughed again, "Well let me know when he becomes too frustrating. I'll make sure he stays put." To be honest, he'd be doing me a favor. I struggled to sleep the night before after seeing the King take those Protectors' lives so easily. I had a feeling it was just the start of several sleepless nights.

"You're an angel, you know that? A hot, warrior angel."

I laughed loudly when a knock drew my attention. I walked over and ripped the door open, leaning on the doorframe, toe to toe with Jackson.

"My Prince," I said, crossing my arms, "Can I help you?"

Jackson leaned against the doorframe opposite of me, "I didn't know you laughed," he smirked.

I scowled, "Of course I laugh, I'm not a robot. Why were you eavesdropping?"

Jackson faked offense, "Never, in my life, Ms. Luther, would I eavesdrop. I was simply coming to see you."

I drew in my eyebrows, "That hardly seems necessary or appropriate seeing as how I was going to meet you downstairs in five minutes."

Jackson smiled, slowly reaching out and tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear, "Yes, but then I'd never get to see you like this, with your hair down."

I stood very still, memorizing the feeling of his hand hovering next to my face and touching my hair. I doubted I'd be able to enjoy the warmth of his hand in the future and that I should enjoy the brief moment, "I guess not."

We were silent until Joe's voice came over the loudspeaker, "Mia, you may want to get moving, the Crowned Prince is pacing in the lobby. It's never a good sign when he paces."

I immediately pulled back and threw my hair into a low, messy bun; not exactly what was expected for a Protector, but I couldn't reach any higher. I tossed my blazer on and dragged Jackson downstairs.

"Finally! We're going to be late!" Prince Marcus screamed.

I checked my watch, we were still 3 minutes early, "Sorry, sir."

"Damn it, Jackson, you always make us late for these things. Too busy making sure you look like the perfect Prince, turning people in your direction instead of their Crowned Prince?" Prince Marcus hissed. He was in a mood, that's for sure.

I looked at Jackson; he was wearing a simple dark gray suit with a white shirt and no tie. It was by no means a remarkable display of wealth or power, like Prince Marcus' decadent plum colored suit that was etched with pure gold threading and a silk black shirt. Jackson's suit was something any man would wear; only he had a charm that made him seem more than a man. It also didn't hurt that the suit made his amazing gray eyes almost glow.

Jackson smiled, clearly used to this, "My apologies, brother. I am trying to work on it."

"Yeah, well. Do better," Prince Marcus mumbled, fiddling with his gold silk tie.