Chapter Twenty-Seven

Over the next few months we traveled to the small factory towns and rural villages outside the city, sharing our story with the people and giving them something they weren't used to, the truth.

Our goal was not necessarily to raise an army, rather to develop relationships that could help us during the pending war. The people in the city could help us hide or provide safe houses during missions. The industrial towns and farming villages could help us enter the city unseen when they brought in their shipments as well as provide us with resources. Though it wasn't our goal, an army is exactly what we raised.

After our speech in the city, the King and Marcus declared war on the rebellion. His army of Protectors and soldiers hunted us everyday until it was finally time. Not only did we have men and women who wanted to fight for their freedom, we also had Protectors who left the King and joined us. We had the numbers, the will for freedom, and the resources to make it possible...it was time for war.

"This is it," Jax whispered as we lay together in our little tent newly positioned a mile from the where the fight for freedom would take place; a small clearing just outside the cities walls, "Months of travel, running, and fighting and here we are. Tomorrow the battle for the kingdom's freedom begins."

I tilted my head up on his chest and looked up at Jax. Living off the land had been good for us. Jax had grown more tanned from working under the sun, his stormy gray eyes were clear from the fresh air, he'd grown even more strong from the physical labor, and he'd grown a short beard that I was quite fond of.

"What are we going to do after this," I whispered, wanting to get the worried look off his face, "Tell me about our future, again?"

Jax smiled, "Our future, huh? Well I'm finally going to marry you, that's for sure."

"Finally! You need to make an honest woman out of me," I said, nuzzling up to him.

"Once I make you my wife, we're going to move into a modest cottage with lots of land to grow our own food. You'll be able to finally spend peaceful days among golden fields and care for those flowers I know you love so much."

I smiled. During our journeys Jax noticed that I'd taken a liking to all the plants I discovered. I constantly found myself asking the women in the villages questions about species of plants and gardening techniques. Spending time with them in their gardens was the most peaceful I'd ever been, "What else?"

Jax grinned, "We're going to get a dog or two, maybe some sheep and a couple horses to ride together on our acres of land."

I closed my eyes, imagining us riding through golden fields of wildflowers, not worried about fighting or being attacked, just feeling the air and racing each other for fun.

"Then, once we're settled, we're going to have those beautiful babies we talked about and I'm going to love you with all I have and make love to you ever night," he grinned, causing me to blush.

"You already love me with all you have...and unless we're on a mission you already make love to me every night," I laughed, "Even if we are on a mission you usually find a way. That being said, I suppose I'll take it."

Jax laughed, his rich voice vibrating through his chest that I was laying against, "That's true," Jax shifted so he could look down at me with serious eyes, "Each new day I always find ways to love you more," he said, squeezing me tighter to him, "Imagine us in 10 years, hm? We'll sicken our children with our love."

"How many children will we have," I smiled, thinking of the tiny feet running across the grass.

"Hm, three, I think. Two boys and a girl," he said, certainly.