Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

I tucked my ring into the pocket of my thigh holster and made my way back inside. I needed to find Jax. I needed to tell him everything Axl told me. He was the only person I truly trusted, besides Jonah, but Jonah would tell me what to do to stay safe. Jax would tell me what to do what was right.

I made my way out of the servant's hallway and back into the ballroom, quickly weaving through nobles to try and find Jax. I found him talking to an older man. He was quiet and his eyes were glazed as I approached. As soon as he saw me behind the man, his gray eyes popped back to life and he excused himself.

"Hey!" he whispered, walking up to me and placing his arm on my shoulder, "Where have you been? I was looking for you when I saw Marcus without you, are you ok?"

"No," I gasped, "Jax, so many things just happened." My chest was tight when I thought about all I'd learned in the last hour, "Jax, there's a lot I need to tell you."

Jax's eyes turned stormy, as they usually did when he was excited in some way, happy, sad, passionate, or angry, "Mia, what's wrong?"

"Jax, your dad and brother-"

"You ran off so quickly I had thought I scared you," Marcus' cruel voice said behind me.

A chill rushed up my spine, "Hardly," I said, slowly turning around, "It takes quite a bit to frighten me and I don't think you're equal to the task," I hissed, glaring at him.

"Mmm," Marcus smiled, "I do love a good game, Ms. Luther. I'll make sure to improve my skills."

"What is your problem?" Jax growled, stepping in front of me, "Stay away from her, Marcus, or I swear to the almighty you will regret crossing me on this."

"Well well, someone's got some fire in them." Marcus laughed, but his eyes looked nervous.

"Excuse us," Jax said, then softly took my hand and led me to the middle of the dance floor.

"Jax..."

"One minute, Mia. Wait one minute to tell me the news, this is a beautiful song and I'm dancing with the most beautiful woman in the world who also happens to be the love of my life, I just want to enjoy this before the world comes crashing down," Jax whispered, placing his hand tenderly on the lower part of my back and drawing me close to his body. He tangled our fingers together and began swaying.

I sighed and rested my head on his chest; fitting the top of my head perfectly beneath his chin, and slid my hand over his shoulder, "Love of your life, huh?"

"Mia Luther, I thought I was good with the way I lived my life, but now that you're in it I know I can't live a single day without you. I finally understand why all those stories of the past exist, Romeo and Juliet, Helen and Paris of Troy, Lancelot and Guinevere...it's like my heart is finally beating again."

I felt tears well in my eyes, "Like you're learning to breathe after holding your breath for so long," I whispered, knowing exactly what he meant.

"Exactly," he whispered, emotion in his voice.

We danced quietly, holding each other tightly for the remainder of the beautiful, lyrical song. When it was over we stepped apart slightly, locking eyes and still holding each other.

"Let's talk now," he sighed, pushing back a loose piece of hair.

"Come with me," I said, leading him to the back of the room that was mostly empty, "Jax, let me get to the end ok. I need to get this all out."

"I promise," he said, looking concerned, "What's wrong?"

"When I was dancing with Marcus he told me...he told me your father was going to give you an ultimatum. Marry Lana or go to the Banks, and you know if you go to the Banks they'll kill you. They want to get rid of you so the kingdom can't love you more then them. After he told me this I went outside to get some fresh air and the man who attacked me at the last ball was there."

Protector of the Crownजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें