Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

After what felt like an eternity of deep, peaceful sleep I woke up abruptly to obnoxious banging on my door, clearly belonging to Grant.

I tried to sit up, but felt the weight on Jax's arms wrapped around me. I lifted my only free arm and ran my fingers along his hair, pushing it out of his face. Jax woke up, blinking his eyes a few times, then smiling.

I got lost in his sleepy eyes until Grant's very rude banging snapped us out of our daze.

"I need you to hide," I said softly.

"Hide?" Jax smirked, "We're not teenagers."

"I wouldn't know," I said, having missed having to hide a boy from others in my teen years, "But I do know that if your brother's Protector finds out-"

"Ok, ok, I got it," he groaned, releasing me and standing up.

"MIA!" Grant called outside the door, "Did you die? I know you're not a heavy sleeper!"

"I'll just hide in the bathroom," Jax whispered.

"I'm just getting dressed," I said, pulling on pants and walking to the door, "You're such a drama queen."

"Oh good, you're alive," he said, leaning on my door frame, "What's up?"

"You came to my room at five in the morning to ask me what's up?"

"Well no, I came to your door at five in the morning to ask you to go for a run, as you so rudely did to me yesterday," he said, walking in my room and flopping on my bed, "I'm not looking forward to this ball tonight. I mean thankfully we don't have to deal with any appearances today, but still," he said, staring at the ceiling.

"I thought you had one with Prince Marcus today?" I said, looking at the bathroom.

"Nah, the King cancelled all appearances today. Apparently the uprising took a little longer to clear than what was originally planned, they're still, um, cleaning up now," Grant said, sitting up, "Now can we run? I think we're good to go out. Just not the Princes."

"Oh, sure," I muttered, "Just let me change and brush my teeth."

"Ok, I'll wait here," he said, flopping down.

"Um, why don't you go brush your teeth, I can smell you from here," I laughed, "Besides, I have to change."

"Come on, Mia. It's nothing I haven't seen before, besides I need to go as soon as humanly possible. My brain is messing with me."

"First, you are literally the biggest drama queen I know. Second, no, I've become accustomed to privacy since living here, so leave," I said, ripping open my door, "I'll meet you in the foyer."

"Whatever," he muttered. He hated being called a drama queen, which is why I always said it.

As soon as I shut the door I turned and saw Jax standing in the bathroom doorway.

"So he's seen you change?" he said, clearly feigning jealousy.

I rolled my eyes, "Sadly. We went on training in the woods for a few weeks once. So Grant and four other guys saw me change."

Jax laughed, "I have competition with five other guys, then?"

I smirked, "Well they only got the underwear view, which you became familiar with last night. Plus, I never kissed them."

"Oh, thank goodness. How many guys do I have to kiss better than then?"

I blushed, "None actually."