Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"That was annoying. Getting stuck in a room with Marcus for an hour is a living nightmare," Grant said, busting into my room trying to tie his tie, "Holy shit," he said, freezing in the doorway.

"Shut up," I said, running my fingers through my hair.

"Look at you in a dress, Luther!" he said, coming over and circling me.

I rolled my eyes. After the Code Gray, Lou left me a dress for the ball in my room. It was a spaghetti strap floor length silver gown with a slit up the leg. The neckline was a deep V-neck that was matched with a V shape in the back. Normally I would be concerned about the dress getting twisted if I had to run, but the fabric was a shimmering and athletic fabric that clung to me to my waist and then flowed at the bottom, so it was keeping everything it needed to secure while showing off the strength of my body.

I left my wavy hair down so it reached the bottom of my shoulder blades. I used an iron to shape my waves and actually put on some mascara, eyeliner, and cheek stain. I ran my fingers through my hair one last time and slid on the silver heels Lou left. My most important and only accessory was the thigh garter I wore, hidden under the gentle flow of the dress. It held my gun, bullets, and a throwing knife.

"Like, you're hot!" he laughed.

I laughed and gave him a shove, "I can still beat your ass in this."

"Well let's go, sexy Protector. Don't want to be late or Marcus will start pacing," he said, wrapping my arm through his.

We laughed as we descended the staircase to meet the princes and prepare for our entry to the ball.

"Well, well, look what we have here," Marcus' slimy voice said as he eyed me up and down, "Never in all my days have I seen such a stunning creature."

"Thank you, sir," I said, repressing the urge to punch him.

Marcus reached towards me and ran his bony pale hands through my hair, "Simply stunning."

"Um, I need to go fetch Prince Jackson," I said, "We don't want you to have to wait, sir."

I rushed up the stairs and walked towards Jax's room just as Jax rounded the corner. He was in a simple and perfectly pressed and fitted tuxedo. His sandy hair was brushed back neatly and his gray eyes had a fierce sparkle to them as his gaze met mine.

"My, oh, my, Ms. Luther. You simply take my breath away," he said, taking my hands in his.

"It's not too much?" I said, nervously twisting my hair.

"You are perfection in human form," he said, softly.

I laughed and pushed him to a corner with limited camera view and kissed him deeply. He kissed me back and sighed against me, "How am I supposed to spend a whole night without touching you?"

I smiled, "Well think about how much better it will feel when you get to touch me again."

"You're torturing me," he laughed. I turned to go back to meet Grant and Marcus when Jax grabbed my arm, "Wait, I want you to wear these. They were my mom's many years ago and as soon as I saw your eyes I imagined you wearing these."

Jax handed me a pair of earrings that were a single circle emerald stone surrounded by a circle of diamonds, "Jax! Won't your dad recognize them?"

"No, she never wore them. He only let her wear jewelry he bought her," he sighed, reaching up and putting them on my ears and kissing me softly before walking with me down the stairs.