Chapter Twenty-Eight

After breakfast Jax and I hopped on our horses and went for a ride. The air was crisp, but comfortable as we rode the horses through the forest to a small clearing by a stream. Once we arrived we sat together for a while, enjoying the gentle caress of the sunshine warming us to our bones.

"I never imagined Jonah to be a wedding planner," Jax laughed as we stood up, ready to ride back to camp.

"I've known the man my whole life! His idea of decoration is a second pillow on his bed," I said, folding up our blanket, "But he will have the best of intentions."

Jax took the blanket from me and tied it to his saddle, "You sure you're ready to marry me?" Jax laughed, "Tie yourself to me for the rest of our lives?"

I smiled and wrapped my arms around him, resting my head against his strong back, "I'm already bound to you in body and spirit, so we may as well make it official."

Jack wrapped his large hands over mine and ran his fingers over my delicate silver band, "What are you going to wear?" he laughed.

Jax turned around and I stepped back, "You mean you don't want to marry me in this?" I said, pointing to my outfit of fitted jeans and Jax's too-big long sleeve black t-shirt hanging down past my thighs. I had tried to tuck it into the front of my waistband, but there was too much fabric and it kept falling out.

"I'd marry you in anything, Ms. Luther," Jax said, kissing me and sliding his hands down my body along my hips, "And this would do just fine...I like seeing you in my clothes."

I laughed, "I don't know. I still have the red dress from when we ran. I didn't have the heart to get rid of it."

"You took my breath away in that dress..." he said, smiling, "Now let's get you back so we can get you into that dress."

Jax and I raced back to camp. We were laughing and out of breath from the fast ride when we froze mid-laugh. The main part of the camp had transformed into something spectacular. The wood benches from the dining tables had been moved to create seating with an aisle of flower petals in between the benches. At the end was a beautiful wooden arch covered in hundreds of colorful flowers.

"What..." I gasped, before I was met by some of the women in the camp, rushing me away from Jax.

I saw Jonah approach Jax, "Go get ready, my dear! I'll take care of the Prince!" he called to me, laughing at my shocked face.

When I got back to my tent there was a breathtaking and whimsical dress that I'd never seen before. It certainly didn't belong in a rebel camp, yet there it was. I put it on and Richard's wife, Ella, did my hair. As she gently combed my hair I looked in the mirror and felt tears spring in my eyes. The dress was a stunning ivory color with delicate silver stitching etched with floral and earthy designs through the dress. The dress had long netted sleeves and a deep v-neck, the bodice was perfectly wrapped around my body and the back buttoned up. The skirt of the dress was full and made of tulle, so each movement made it seem like I was floating.

I closed my eyes and thought of the life I could have lived, in a modest noble home with my parents and sister beside me, helping me get ready to marry Jax. I knew I would have found him in any lifetime and been his. We were of the same flame and in any lifetime we would find each other. I imagined my sister as a grown woman, her pale skin painted softly and her dark hair that she got from my father done up into a beautiful twist. My mother would be smiling her glowing smile as she kissed my cheeks. My father...my wonderful good hearted father would take me in his arms and tell me that if it were any other man he wouldn't let me go, but Jax was pure and good and made for me. Then he'd walk me down the aisle...to my future.

"You're all ready for your love," Ella said, her gentle loving voice helping me to feel warm and calm, "He will be beside himself when he sees you."

Ella had left my hair down, something I didn't often do, and smoothed the waves so my auburn hair was shining and wavy down to my mid back. I put on the emerald earrings Jax gave me at our first ball and smiled.

"Where did you find this?" I gasped, touching my dress. It was so delicate and stunning I was sure it would float away and be just a dream.

"A friend of ours owns a dress shop in the city," she smiled, "Jonah ordered it before he left the city and brought it with him. He wasn't sure if he'd live to see you married if he didn't come before the war."

I felt tears well in my eyes, "He's a great man," I whispered.

"He is indeed," Ella agreed, leading me outside.

Jonah was waiting outside in a perfectly tailored Protector's uniform, "You are a vision," he gasped, looking at me.

I smiled, "Thanks to you."

Jonah blushed and motioned towards the center of the camp, "After you."

I took Jonah's arm and wrapped mine in his; "I need you to walk me down the aisle. I can't do it alone...I need a father with me and you are as close as a father to me as it gets."

A single tear fell down Jonah's face, "It would be the greatest honor of my life to walk you to your future."

He led me to the isle where the beautiful sound of a violin played a soft and romantic melody. The people we had gotten to know and love sat on the benches looking at us with excitement in their eyes.

When I looked up to Jax my heart stopped. He was dressed in a simple gray suit with a fitted white shirt underneath, the top two buttons left undone. His hair was still wild and unruly, just like him, but he had shaved his beard, showing off his strong and handsome features. When my eyes locked onto his, his stormy gray eyes were alight shining behind the tears welled in his eyes. He was truly my heart that lived outside my body. My life was connected to his in every way.

The world around us once again disappeared and seemed to move in slow motion. My hands reached for Jax and we stood face to face, our hands intertwined as Richard welcomed the guests and spoke of marriage. I was lost in Jax, hearing only every other word until it was time to bind us.

Richard pulled out a green ribbon, "Jackson Jonathan Armstrong Thorn and Mia Faye Luther, I ask that you unite your hands," Richard said. Jax held out his right hand, palm up, and I rested my left hand, palm down on his forearm to connect us, "Will you commit yourself to honor the other and swear to never break the other's trust, so long as you both shall live?"

"We will," Jax and I said in unison.

Richard wrapped the ribbon around our untied hands, "Will you help carry the burdens of the other and attempt to ease each other's pain so long as you both shall live?"

"We will."

Richard wrapped the ribbon around our hands again, "Will you share each other's joy, happiness, love, and friendship so long as you both shall live?"

"We will."

"I ask you to look at your bound hands, these are the hands that will work with you to build your lives. These hands will love you, comfort, and cherish you for all your lives. They are the hands that will wipe away your tears during times of sorrow. These hands will hold your children, they will hold you up when you feel weak, and they will reach out to you in times of need. To complete the ceremony, please repeat after me..."

You are my soul, my heart, and my life

I commit myself to you

Your enemy is my enemy

Your ally is my ally

Your fight is my fight

Your heart is my heart

With every breath I breathe I will cherish you

When my final day does come

I will love you until my last breath be done