Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Two Months Later...

Our late night walks became routine. We would separate at night when everyone else went to bed and then meet in the library. We never had another close encounter like we had on our first night. After Jackson's meeting with Lana I kept my distance, against everything I truly wanted. Lana was around much more often and he was kept very busy between her and his appearances.

The ironic part was, while I kept my physical distance I grew closer to him every night as I got to know him and, in turn, let him know me. The more I knew, the less distance I wanted to keep from him.

I learned how horrific his father was when he was young. His rage lessened after the death of Jackson's mother. I learned how badly Jackson wished he really were the son of another man, not the King. He joined the military to escape his father's rage and hoped by not being there the King would leave his mother alone. He also believed in the future King Michael saw for his Kingdom and wished to fight for that future. He loved archery in his free time and knew more about caring for and treating animals than anyone I knew. He was well read, but knew how to survive on the land if he needed to. He loved his work with the children and veterans more than any of the other appearances his father had him go on. He was simply magical. I also learned the things he struggled with the most; like his temper around his father and brother, his faith in good things to come in the midst of a gloomy world, and his weakness for chocolate.

I didn't have as much to share. I told him about my father and mother. I told him about my father's strength and courage in all things, my parents' love which inspired me, my mother's gentle touch and patience, and that they called me their dove because I reminded them of hope. They nearly lost me while my mother was pregnant with me during a building fire, but I held on and my heartbeat never wavered, shocking all the doctors. I told him about Anne and all the adventures we had in the field behind my childhood home. Anne was brilliant, above all the other children, yet remained patient and kind when I struggled to keep up with her. He learned how much I missed them. He learned about my training, the things I had to do and how they hurt me, yet made me stronger. He knew all that I had to offer. There was just something about those late night hours that made me want to spill my guts.

"Mia, my lovely, sexy Protector," Joe's voice called over the intercom, "Are you awake, goddess divine?"

I tried not to laugh, but failed, "What Joe?"

"Oh good. Your boy is on the move," he said, continuing to feed me with compliments as I made his life so much easier, "Are you ok? Normally you're already there to meet him?"

"I'm fine," I said, quietly trying to erase the random pain I was feeling in my chest, knowing I could never really have what I was beginning to want most, "I'll be there in a moment."

"Why don't you sleep, Mia. I got this one. It's not like you need beauty rest, but a person can only live on a few hours of sleep for so long," Joe said quietly.

My body ached. I'd been doing some boxing mixed with offensive and defensive maneuvers with Grant most evenings before my nightly walk with Jackson. It helped clear my head for a few hours.

"You really don't mind?" I asked. It may be best to keep my distance in unprofessional settings. I had shared so much about myself that I had begun to feel empty and was aching for a man I could never have, a woman could only take so much.

"No, love. Go to bed," he said, then I heard him end our transmission.

I lay awake for a few hours, staring at the ceiling of my dark room. Once I did fall asleep it was a bad sleep. I dreamed of all the deaths again, waking in a cold sweat two hours before my alarm. Ignoring my body's protests to stay in bed I changed into my running gear and banged on Grant's door for a good five minutes until he answered, looking handsome and disheveled.