Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

After a couple of days in the small hospital room I insisted I go back to my room. I was tired of being checked on by staff that could go back and tell the King or Marcus about Jax spending time in my room.

I was given four weeks to rest before I could go back to duty. At that time the King would be holding a dinner in my honor for protecting the crown and gaining confirmation of a rebellion. I wasn't looking forward to it since it involved another dress and I had ruined my only one with a bullet wound and blood.

Lou had promised me another when he came to check on me when I returned to my room, but I begged him not to worry. I could wear my pants and blouse. He looked deeply horrified and told me he'd check back in on me when my mind was right again.

Jax had continued sneaking through the hidden tunnels to see me. We spent the majority of my time off simply lying together and talking of our pasts lives that we lived alone and our futures together.

When my four weeks of torture were over I began working out again. My runs were shorter and the weights were a tad lighter, but I felt ready to move again. When I returned to my room from a run Jax was waiting dressed in his exercise gear.

"I came to see if you wanted to go for a light run through the tunnels, but I see you beat me to it," he laughed, sitting on my bed.

"The early bird gets the worm, Jackson," I said, feeling euphoric from my run. I rushed over to him and pushed him back into a seated position as he tried to stand up, "Won't you please sit?"

Jax's smile widened as I climbed on top of him, straddling his lap, and wrapped my arms around his neck and shoulders, pulling him closer to me, "Well Ms. Luther, it doesn't seem as though I have much of a choice."

"Exercise is important," I smirked, kissing his neck as he wrapped his arms tightly around my waist.

"Ms. Luther, I've missed this," he laughed, quickly rolling me over onto my back.

"Ah, ouch," I winched, causing Jax to immediately pull back.

"Mia, I'm so sorry," he gasped.

I laughed, "Just kidding," I quickly rolled over on top of him kissing him deeply until I heard him gasp and squeeze me against him.

"That was very mean, Ms. Luther," Jax whispered, which turned into a deep moan as I ground my hips to his.

We began to move faster, our breaths quickening until there was a polite knock at my door. I only knew one person who knocked.

"Jax, go to the bathroom!" I said, shoving him towards the door, "It's Lou with my dress."

"Can't wait to see you in it," Jax laughed as I slammed the door shut.

I smoothed my hair back and opened the door, "Hey, Lou," I smiled.

"Ms. Luther, you look well today. First day back in the gym?" he said, his kind eyes warm.

"Yes, sir. Thank goodness, I was feeling so horrible."

"Well you couldn't tell that you hadn't made it, my dear. You look as strong and lethal as always."

"Oh Lou," I laughed, "You certainly know what to say to a girl, don't you?"

Lou laughed, "It is a skill of mine. Speaking of my skills, I have your gown for tonight," he said, holding out a black garment bag, "Take a peak?"

I smiled and opened the zipper to see the color. It was a shocking and stunning shimmering red. I held the hem of the dress and as the dress moved it looked as though it was on fire. It wasn't a burgundy like all the other reds in the palace, but a shock to the system, making the other colors seem dull and meek. As I looked further I saw that it was strapless.

"Lou...good gracious, Lou!" I exclaimed, "This is far too elegant for me!"

"Sweet girl," he smiled, zipping the garment bag back up, "You are the only woman I know who can carry this dress the way it deserves. It needs a strong woman, a woman who knows who she is, a woman whose very presence can set a room on fire, to wear it."

"Thank you," I gasped, taking the bag from him. As he turned away I called for him, "Lou? This may be the protector in me who over analyzes everything, but why do you bring me gowns that don't match the colors of the House of Thorn? All other protectors blend in. Instead of gold you brought me silver and instead of burgundy you've brought me bright red."

Lou smiled, "You may be reading too much into it, Ms. Luther."

I laughed, "Of course! Sorry!"

"Or...it could be because you belong to no house but your own. Your fire, your strength, your power embodies the House of Luther. You cannot and will not be tamed, just as the Luther's before you. You are defiance to all that is wrong in the world. I'm sure Prince Jackson agrees," he said, looking over at the bathroom door.

Before I could think of the words to say Lou walked away. I was still standing in the doorway when Jax walked up behind me and shut the door.

"He's right, you know," he said, kissing my head, "You are a light in this dark world."

I turned and looked at him, "Trust me, I'm nothing special."

"You are the greatest gift of my life," he whispered, hugging me from behind, "You should hear the way everyone talks about you after the attack. Even the noblemen who are loyal to my father can't keep the name Luther out of their mouths."

I clung to my dress and took a deep breath. My goal was to keep my past from the rest of the nobles. I didn't want to be compared to the remarkable men of my past. Jax was probably the only person who knew what it felt like. He had people compare him to Michael regularly.

"Well aren't we just two in the same," I whispered, turning to kiss him lightly.

Jax smiled, thinking the same, "Let's get you out for another run, Luther. It's the only thing that will get my mind off seeing you in that mystery gown."