Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

When I made it down to the foyer Prince Marcus was pacing, as usual, "Mia, thanks for being on time," he said. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or authentic.

"My pleasure, sir," I muttered, looking at my watch and noticing I was 15 minutes early.

"Ah! Jackson, about damn time," Prince Marcus said, playing with his velvet blazer's cuffs.

I didn't turn around, but could feel his presence as he approached. It was like the sun coming out of the shadows on a cold and empty day.

"Sorry, I didn't realize you were waiting," Jackson muttered.

"Yeah, well I didn't anticipate you'd be on time. You never are. Plus, I noticed you had a visitor last night," Prince Marcus smirked, landing his eyes on me.

"What do you mean?" Jackson said, standing next to me with a confused look. He certainly played innocent very well.

"Brother, I saw Lana leaving the palace this morning," the Prince laughed, "Why else would she be here?"

"She wasn't with me," Jackson said intensely, looking briefly at me and back to his brother, "She wasn't with me."

Prince Marcus laughed, "Whatever you say, brother. You denied it last time too and yet you wound up dating for the second time, how long was it? Like a year or something?"

"Marcus, that isn't the case this time," Jackson said, his neck red with anger.

"Sir, are you ready?" Grant said, coming from behind us, "Looks like our ride's here."

"About time, Grant," Marcus said, easily distracted.

"Mia, I-"

"Time to go, sir," I said, walking ahead of Jackson to our car.

"Mia!" he exclaimed, chasing after me, "Please!"

"It shouldn't matter to me," I said, opening the door and motioning him to climb in.

"Well it does and I'm glad it does, Mia..."

"Get in the damn car, Jax!" I hissed, ready to shove him in, "Now!"

"You know, I'd prefer you use my nickname for happy things, not when you're pissed or scared," he muttered, climbing into the car.

By the time I climbed in the car Jackson had already put the privacy screen up in the car, so we were separated from the driver.

"Why?" I muttered, motioning to the screen, "Why?"

"Because I need to talk to you," he said simply, "And I feel better now that I know what's wrong with you."

"First of all there's nothing wrong with me. Second, no you don't. You don't owe me anything; I'm just your Protector. Third, you have always talked to me with the screen down, so there's not really a-"

"Dammit Mia, yes there is and it's because you know you're more to me than a Protector," he whispered, sliding over and taking my hand.

I had missed his warmth more than I'd ever missed anything. Instead of pushing his hand aside, like I should, I grasped his hand in both of mine "Jax, that's all I can be. And besides, you found a girl who can be more," I whispered as his head moved closer to mine, "Besides, my job is to keep you safe and remain close to you, so I think you're just confused about what you're feeling."

"I'm not confused, not at all," he said, getting closer as his hand squeezed my knee almost painfully, but I welcomed it.

"Jax," I gasped, putting my hand on his chest, fisting his shirt instead of pushing him away, "I saw Lana."

"I swear; she came by late at night. I told Joe to make sure she got somewhere safe for the night, but I never even saw her. I was in the library, waiting for you until 4," he said, his face moving closer until his nose touched mine, "Why didn't you come to me?"

I breathed in his fresh scent, "I couldn't."

"But you can do anything," he whispered, wrapping a hand around my neck, possessively and tenderly.

"I wasn't trained to handle emotions, just shut them off or repress them," I whispered back.

"I know," he said.

His lips almost touched mine when the car came to an abrupt stop. I looked over his shoulder and out the tinted windows. We had arrived at our first appearance of the day.

"We should go," I said, untangling myself from him.

"No, besides I'm feeling kind of feverish," he said, keeping his hand wrapped on the back of my neck and reaching his other around my back. He was kneeling in front of my keeping me caged against the seat.

"Get a move on, Your Highness," I smirked, pulling away and climbing towards the door. After a deep breath I climbed out.

I followed Jackson into the war plant we were visiting with Prince Marcus. The plant was a huge part of the city, all of the Protectors' and military machines, weapons, and well, basically everything came from the plant.

The majority of people in the city worked in the plant. The rest commuted to farms on the outskirts of the city or were fishermen. Prince Marcus received a cool welcome from the workers. The King didn't particularly care about working conditions so long as the plant pumped out products.

Jackson received more of a warm welcome. He had served and thanked the men and women for their hard work in the weapons that kept him safe.

Jackson and I kept a reasonable space between us during the tour. Prince Marcus' eyes were locked on me throughout the whole tour, looking for a reaction from me about Lana.

We spent the whole day touring the plant and discussing new innovations in war materials. By the time we made it to the car I was dead on my feet. Jackson opened the door for me and stood aside.

"You know that's my job," I muttered.

Before I got in the car our driver approached me, "Ms. Luther, there was a small uprising in the main portion of the city. The King is secure, but we need to drive along the back roads to take the long route around the city back to the palace.

"Ok, thank you. How long will the drive be?" I asked, craving my bed.

"The drive itself is an hour, but we may need to extend the route based on whether the other Protectors determine it's safe."

"Ok, I appreciate the heads up," I said.

Jackson and I climbed in the car and I heard the protective locks click into place. I settled close to Jackson, keeping a careful eye outside. I knew there were Protectors all over the city, but I had to be sure he'd be safe.

Unwittingly I reached next to me and took Jax's hand. I was cold and tired, but his touch filled me with warmth and life again.

We rode in a comfortable silence for thirty minutes when my eyes began to drift. I found myself leaning against him.

"Close your eyes, Mia," Jax said; wrapping me in his arms, "I'll make sure no one gets too close."

"No, it's-"

"Your job, I know," he said. I could hear the smirk in his voice, "Have you forgotten I'm a highly trained member of the military? Well, was, but you don't lose those skills, Mia."

For once I decided not to fight him and rested my head into the crook of his neck, shutting my eyes as I breathed in his manly and warming scent, "If it looks like we're going to be attacked make sure you wake me up, ok?"

Jackson let out a small laugh, "I promise."