Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

When we finally returned to the palace Jackson went upstairs to change for dinner. The King generally preferred a "family" dinner done in true royal fashion.

I stood next to Grant as the family ate. The King spent the majority of the meal speaking to Prince Marcus, discussing how wonderful the museum opening was in six different ways. Finally he spoke to Jackson. The King was uninterested until Jackson mentioned Lana.

"Lana was there, really?" the King muttered, "You know, she was always my preferred match for you. Her father is a wonderful advisor and she is very good with people. She's really a perfect match."

Jackson looked briefly at me and then at the King, "I know how you feel about her, father."

Prince Marcus looked at him with cruel eyes, "It's a shame she left you for someone else. I feel like the shock has prevented you from really being able to move on," Marcus gazed purposefully at Jackson and then moved to lock onto my eyes.

"I hardly think that's true brother. In the end I think it turned out for the best. I always felt like she only cared about a title," Jackson said sharply. I saw him lift his eyes to me, but I focused on a flower on the wallpaper behind him.

"Son, most women are that way, at least in high society. Any proper woman cares about her title," the King said with his mouth full.

"Men too," Jackson whispered.

The King slammed down his fork, "What did you say to me, boy?"

"Nothing father," Jackson said, setting his fork down, looking like he was preparing for an attack.

"If you have something to say, you had better say it," the King hissed, rising so his hands rested on the table and he looked down on Jackson.

Jackson rose higher than his father, his height already dwarfing the king as his muscles coiled like a predator ready to attack; "I've said it before, I don't feel the need to say it again in front of everyone, but if you insist. You married my mother for title only, then-"

"You had better watch where that sentence is going," the King said, trying to cut off his son, but Jackson kept going.

"Then Grandfather mysteriously died and then my mother!"

"Your Highness!" I said, running in front of him as he moved towards his father.

He crashed into my bad arm, hard, but I held my ground. I could tell all he saw was red, his gaze filled rage.

The King's protector, Alex, blocked the King opposite me, "Your Majesty, perhaps now would be an appropriate time for your evening walk."

The King glared at his son and walked away. I could feel Jackson push forward a little bit, but I held my ground, "Jax, time to go," I whispered.

He took a deep breath and stormed out of the dining room, leaving a grinning Marcus behind.

I walked behind Jackson until he stopped and I slammed into his back, "Dammit, Jax!" I hissed, getting tired of bumping into him. The man was built of solid rock or something.

I rubbed my arm, sore from his body slamming into me in the dining hall and worsened just now. I felt some blood begin to seep from my bandage.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, desperately.

"Don't worry about it, I just need to start making sure I'm walking a little further behind you," I whispered, pulling off my jacket and adjusting the bandage. I felt his gaze on me, my skin tingling. I looked up at him and found his enchanting eyes grazing over my bare shoulders. A blush crept over my chest. I put my jacket back on and glared at him, "What?" I demanded.