Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

"Mia, are you sure you're not following like a deer or something? We're going pretty deep into the woods," Jax said, looking around.

"Jackson. Jonah taught me especially during our down time how to track. Jonah, whose family is literally known for being top hunters and trackers. The man is the lead tracker of the Protectors. Trust me, I'm tracking people, not deer. Plus, why would the rebellion not be deep in the woods?"

"Fair enough, but won't the other Protectors be able to track us?" Jax said, trudging along behind me.

"They know the basics, but Jonah gave me special lessons," I said, jumping over a log.

"What do you think he'd say about us?"

I stopped and turned to face him, "Honestly? I think he'd yell at me, then be happy for me. After the killing of my family, his heart was broken. He loved my father like a brother and from that point on he made it his mission to take care of me. He's always wanted what was best for me and I think he'd be happy I'm free with you."

"Most people wouldn't be happy if the person they cared about was in a dark and dangerous forest searching to join a rebellion against the King of Arlington," Jax said, flicking a spider off his arm.

"Well Jonah isn't most people. He's trained me to kill any threat, so he wouldn't be worried," I laughed, "And don't worry, I'll protect you."

"I can take care of myself-ah!" Jax screamed as a huge bug flew towards his face.

"So brave and strong," I laughed, "I know you can take care of yourself, I'm just here if you need backup."

Jax smiled, "And not that you ever will need backup, but I'll always be there if you need me."

I heard a loud bang, "Score," I exclaimed, "Let's go, Jax! I think we reached our destination."

"You are crazy sexy right now," Jax said, running along after me.

We rushed ahead towards the sound. I noticed a gentle worn trail and some broken branches laying on the ground. I knew I had found it. To be fair, they did a great job at hiding their location, but I was better at tracking than most.

"We're here," I whispered, pulling Jax beside me and hiding behind a boulder. We peaked over the boulder and saw the rebel camp. It was hidden in a small valley. Hundreds of canvas tents were set up along a little stream, along with a few semi permanent looking structures, which were likely used for storage. It was a quaint looking place, almost peaceful. People were laughing and joking around with each other, chatting around campfires. It looked so homey and peaceful.

"What do we do now?" Jax whispered.

"We need eyes on Axl," I said, scanning the faces, "Then we're going to go say hello."

"Hello," Axl's voice said behind me.

"Shit," I hissed.

"Both of you turn around hands up, especially you, Luther. I know you've got all sorts of weapons on you...and if you don't, you're just as deadly on your own, let's go," he said.

Jax and I looked at each other and turned around slowly. I kept my hands up and found myself eye to eye with Axl and two other men pointed guns at us.

"Axl, I figured we could have that conversation you mentioned at the ball," I said, smiling sweetly.

"With the prince? Of Arlington? The son of the King?" Axl said, "I'm inclined not to believe you."