Chapter 4: I might be grieving too

"AHH" She screamed in surprise. She clamed down once she saw that it was me, but her eyes were still weary of me. 

"Why are you sleeping here?" I ask, trying to finally start a conversation with her.

"None of your business." She says in a haughty tone, crossing her arms. Great. Well, she is just a child, what can you do?

"Can I sit next to you?" I ask politely. 

She looks hesitant but I guess she doesn't really want to be mean yet. "Fine." She says.

I sit next to her and stay still for a few minutes. Then I hear faint sniffling. I had guessed why she came here already. It's normal for a kid to go off and cry where no one can see them. 

"Why are you crying?" I ask anyway.

"I....I miss mommy...."She says through her sniffles. It has only been a few years, and although she was very young when her mother died, I bet those memories with her left a lasting impact, so she might not be fully over it yet.

"I, I haven't met mother." Silence enveloped us, as she stopped sniffling. This is a conversation I wanted to have with her. She's still a kid, so it's obvious she might not fully know that others might be in pain too. I just wanted to remind her, that although she really liked her mother, I have never met her, and to try to make her more sympathetic. 

"She.....She was very kind." She stated. "Her hair was pretty and blond." She says with a faint smile. At least she finally talk to me, I'm making progress. "Her eyes were yellow, like yours." She turns to face me. Unlike mine, her eyes were a deep brown, like her fathers. There's a cliché in media about how kids look similar to their dead parent, but I guess it's the opposite for our family.

'She was very kind," Alice continued. "I liked how she read stories to me." She said with little tears in her eyes, that she wiped off as she talked, "Daddy told me that it wasn't your fault.......I'm sorry for blaming you!"

"It's ok." God, this would be easier if I could just smile, but instead I just gently nod my head.

And so me and her talked for a little while, and as the day ended, I felt like me and her could definitely become close in the future, and maybe, I can save this cute child's fate of being a villainess.