Chapter 21: Hard to party when your saving lives

The morning of the party, I was very nervous. A lot of things relied on us stopping the demon from hurting anyone at the party.

Me, Ceil and Alice all discussed time which we interfere with the demon's attempts to hurt anyone. Then, we set up a trap for him, and hopefully, he gets caught.

The thing that makes this hard, is that the demon can shape shift, so we don't know who he could be, and that's even more dangerous. Luckily, we know who is his targets, as long as he doesn't change into anyone else, we're ok, hopefully.

Sitting in the carriage with my sister and father, it was silent. It was how our family was. We didn't need to hang out every day, we could do with a once in a week time together. We weren't much talkers anyway. Although that doesn't make it seem that we are close, I consider myself very close with them.

After an hour on the carriage, we finally arrive at the castle. As we step out, I notice how many people are really here. Of course, this is because it's Ceil's birthday party, and this wasn't an event that needed an invite, so anyone could really come.

I was never good with crowds, but I usually got out of going, but today, I couldn't just leave. I just hope nobody would talk to me.

I walked into the great hall I explored a few days earlier, and it looked completely different, with the many people in groups all over the place, the tables of food and drinks, the band that's playing.. it looked surreal.

I found a corner near a table to stand in, and stay out of the way.

I watched the people coming in closely, trying to identify anyone a little bit suspicious. Someone who hasn't been seen in a few days, finally making an appearance, or someone not familiar with societal norms. But for now, there seemed to be no one out if ordinary.

Suddenly, people turned around to a little balcony with stairs coming down to the hall. Ceil and his family were walking down it gracefully. Ceil's hair was slicked back, he had on a royal outfit, black pants and a red long armed vest, with many or ornaments on it. My face turned hot for a second, before I adverted my gaze to his brother Alex, walking along side him.

He looked to be wearing his knight uniform, which was formal for a knight to wear to a party, but It felt too casual for a royal prince. The king walked behind the both of them, looking over the room with an observing look.

I decided to go to eat some snacks at the table, knowing Ceil was going to be very busy with greetings.

I was eating some kind of stick with cherry tomatoes, a small block of cheese, and a small sausage piece, when someone tapped my shoulder, and said "Hi!"

It was Alex. I was a bit confused to why he came up to me, so I lifted my brow a little.

"Why aren't you with Ceil?" He asked

"Well, he's busy with all the guests, and I don't want to be around that many people." I answered.

He chuckled. He took one of those little sticks and asked, "Do you like them?" I had just realised I had eaten 5 of them already, and had two in my hand right now.

"Here," he held up the stick to my face. I was about to grab it when I realised my hands were full, so I just bent down and ate it out of his hand, I was too absorbed by the deliciousness, that I didn't see Alex glancing at something in the room, smirking.

In a second, Ceil was in front of me, and I jumped back.

"Ceil?" I asked, questioningly.

He didn't say anything, just held up another stick. By this time my hands were already full, and I could never eat something out of Ceil's hand, I would die from embarrassment, so I just took the stick in my hands, and said, "thank you?" In a confused tone.

Ceil shot a glare at Alex, who seemed to be walking away, leaning over laughing.

"Shouldn't you be with guests?" I asked, eating the sticks to distract myself from Ceil being so close to me.

"It's ok, I was getting bored anyway. Did you see anyone suspicious?" He asked.

"No, no one yet." I answered.

"Good. You said the first victim is coming around this time?"

"Yes, he drags him away and kills him in a separate room and turns into him until the he kills the second victim."

The first victim was Count Leinberg. He wasn't anyone important, but he was still a person.

Ceil went back to the guests. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Count Leinberg being lead  out of the hall by a servant.

I immediately rush over there, even though I hate conversation, this was to save lives. I came up to him, and said' "I'm sorry to bother you sir, but Ce- I mean His Highness the crown prince would like to see you."

The man looked surprised, but no one would turn down a conversation with the crown prince no matter what they needed to do.

The man nodded, and I walked him to Ceil, the entire way there, I felt the cold and angry gaze of the servant on my back.

The next victim was actually my old tutor. That's right, Hellen Raverpoor. Because of her death here, it caused a scene. She is the smartest person on the continent after all. She's a scientist, and her death set us back a few years in development. So this person was very important.

Honestly, I was most nervous about talking with her, since it felt like running into you're 2nd grade teacher in public, I don't know what I should talk about.

I saw the same servant going up to her, so I acted quickly and started a conversation with her, "Hello, Miss, long time no see." I politely say, ignoring the look the servant is giving me.

"Ah, it's you, the little genius. How are your studies going now?" She asked, smiling.

"They are average, I've fallen off a little." I said, lightly chuckling.

"Haha, many people go through that, I did too, but I continued to persevere, and look now, I've thought a genius like Alice." She smiled.

I had to continue the conversation until I could see that the servant gave up. I quickly made my way to Ceil, who was standing near a table. There were some people near him, but he didn't seem engaged in the conversation.

I tugged on his shirt next to him. He turned to the side, asking, "What is it? Did he already make a move?"

I nodded. "Miss Hellen and Count Leinberg. I took care of it. It's that servant over there." I discreetly pointed at the servant.

Ceil nodded. "I'll also look for suspicious actions from him."

We separated again. I went over to Alice and told her the same thing. She said she also stopped him from trying to get to a girl her age.

And so, the whole party we spent adverting the victims away from the servant.

It was rearing the parties end, I was leaning on a wall next to one of the entrances to the hall, which were open, when I was pulled out of the hall. The corridors were empty, because everyone was in the hall, it was just me and the servant, holding a knife to my throat. "Hello, human. You're annoying." He said, smiling.