Chapter 34: Reject

Myles POV

It has been a week since my family found out about Curtis. It turned out worse than I thought it would.

Originally, I thought when I told them, there would be some minor arguments but I didn't think they'd resort to grounding us both.

"Son, I don't want to ask you again. Why won't you just leave that Hellwig brat. Is it worth risking your family for him, for a stupid.. friend?!"

My father has been persistently trying to get me to stop talking to Curtis. It was getting on my nerves on how he kept calling him 'brat' and saying that 'I need to prioritise family over friendship'.

"Ha, you think just friendship is keeping me by his side?" I say, letting out a sad laugh.

"What? What the heck are you talking about?!" He looked a little confused.

"Im in love with Curtis." It felt like a heavy weight had lifted iff my chest, I had gotten rid of something that was holding me down for so long, but at the same time, I knew my relationship with my family would never be the same again.

Before I could comprehend what happened, I had been knocked onto the ground, my right cheek hurting a bit too much. My father had rarely resorted to violence, but I guess this was his final straw.

"YOU BETTER BE JOKING, BECAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT TO SUFFER SOME REAL CONSEQUENCES FOR YOUR WORDS RIGHT NOW." He yelled

I got up from the ground. I didn't want to listen anymore. I had been preparing my mind for what was about to come, but that didn't mean I wanted to hear it.

"In love?! With a fucking Hellwig?! And a man at that! You.... I thought I raised you well, raised you right, you did well in your studies, never heard a bad word come from your teachers! Yet you treat me like this?! Have you been lying to us this whole time?!"

It was getting harder to hold in the tears each second. I turned around and walked to the door.

"Hey! I was not done talking to you! Where do you think you are going?!"

"Away."

I had chosen to stay with my parents for most of the year, since school was close to my home, but the dorms were always open for me. Well, it's not like I had a choice. I don't know when my family would calm down enough to that its safe to go home.

I open the door to the medium sized dorm. It was mostly empty, since me and Curtis rarely stay in here. I collapse on the bed, falling asleep, too tired to think about today.

————————————————

Curtis POV

I wanted to get away. I didn't feel like being home. Father was still mad, not even talking to me when we ran into each other. The air at home felt suffocating.

I couldn't sleep at night as well. What is Myles doing? Is he ok? I know his father is very strict.

I'm... probably not going to be able to see him again, am I? We can't really keep it a secret anymore...... i wanted to cry. But I'm already too exhausted to do that.

I like Myles. Not the 'friendship' kind of like. These feeling had always been there, it was only recently that I put a name on it. And it was only after we got separated that I realised how much I depended on him.

But I knew..... we could never be together like that..

I was on my way to my dorm room. It was the only place I could think of going. Somewhere where my family can't reach me easily.

I opened the door to the room, on one of the beds slept Myles. I was shocked, but I soon realised he must also have hard time at home.

I slowly walked up to the bed, wanting to tell him I'm there, but as I stepped closer i noticed the right side of his face. It was swollen and a little bruised, very close to his eye.

My breath hitched. It seemed Myles finally noticed I was here, and sat up.

"Curtis. Why are you here?" He asked, concerned.

I still couldn't take my eyes off the bruise on his cheek. "That...." I said, hesitantly.

"Thats nothing." He responded, not seeming to care.

"What are you talking about?! You got hurt! And...." I trail off.  And it was because of me.

"Curtis. I have something to tell you." Myles said in a serious tone.

"Huh?"

"I like you." Myles said.

"I..." i couldn't speak. My mind was going insane.

"We... can't" I say.

Myles places his hands on my shoulders. "Don't say that."

"We can't! Myles look how hurt you got when we told them that we are friends! I don't want to see you like this!" I cried.

"I.... It's not like that-"

"Please, let's just stop. Lets just stop being friends....." i say, my breath shaking

"Curtis..... "

"Please. I.... Don't want to see you again....."

I could not be anymore confused. I was happy, so happy, my feelings were reciprocated, my heart hurts from having to reject him.....