Chapter 19: Please don't blame yourself

Ceil POV

Al ran off, I don't know where, I would run after him If i didn't have a gaping wound, the nurse told me that if I move too much, it can open up again.

As I was trying to figure out what Al meant by 'sorry', my father walked in. The first thing he asked me was, "How did you make him cry?"

My eyes widened. Al was crying. I lifted my blanket, and was ready to get out of bed, but my father stopped me. "Calm down, he's going to be ok, you won't find him anyway." He said.

I shot him a glare, and went back to bed. This wound better heal fast then.

"You were quite the show off today, Allen seemed very impressed." He chuckled

My cheeks went hot, "Shut up old man." I didn't want Al to come to the tournament, in case I didn't win, that would be humiliating. Then, Curtis just had to make my life difficult. I tried my best, in trying to do something impressive. But I was too careless. I should have seen by the way that teacher looked. I was too caught up to win, I didn't even realise it, and now Al has to see me hurt, perfect.

"Don't blame yourself, the only perpetrator is that teacher." My father comforted. It did make me feel better, but I still felt like shit.

"Don't move around too much, I'm sure you'll get to see him soon." My father said, walking away. I grumbled, this old man could look right through me.

———————————————————————-

It's been a few days, Al hasn't come to see me at all, but every morning when I wake up, I can see new flowers have been added to the pot, and some snacks left on my bedside table.

I was relaxing when I heard Alice's voice, coming toward me, saying "What did you do to my brother?!" She practically yelled trough the entire medical centre.

She burst in and stood next to my bed with an angry expression. "What? Did something happen to Al??" I asked.

"Huh. Seems you have no clue either. Well, the only reason he could be this mopey and sad is because of you, so I'm still angry." Alice sat down on the chair next to the bed and crossed her arms and legs.

She really was a good older sister.

"I tried asking him about it, but he said he was fine, and that It was nothing. Like usual." She sighed. I knew she was worried, and I was too. I really hope it's not something i did.

———————————————————————-

I was finally able to walk around now. The nurse said no physical activities. The first thing I did was try to find Al. I doubt he'll explain everything, but I could try and force him to say it.

It's around lunch time, so he has to be there. I see him sitting eating alone, looking sullen. I quietly came up behind him, putting my hand on the table.

He looks up at me and looks immediately panicked. It seems it's true that something is wrong. "Is everything ok?"  I asked, concerned.

"I..I'm fine! I gotta go now! Bye!" He sat up and sprinted out of the cafeteria. I was a bit shocked. Al had avoided me in the past, but it was never to the extent of running away from me.... What do I do...

———————————————————————

Allen POV

I ran away. I bet Ceil is confused, but I just can't talk with him knowing that I caused that injury to happen.

I wander around in the hallways, trying to find a place to hide. I hear footsteps behind me, and see that it's Ceil.

I try to walk faster, and I hear him speeding up. I couldn't help but think, should he really be walking that fast? I hear a low grunt and a thump.

I whip my head around to see Ceil is on one knee, clutching where his wound is. I rush over, not even thinking about it.

"Are you ok??? How much does it hurt??" I ask anxiously. I help him get up, but then I feel arms wrapping around my waist and I'm in pulled in.

"Caught you." Ceil says. My heart rate goes through the roof and my face goes hot. I try to get out of his grasp, but he doesn't let go.

"Now, I won't let you go until you tell me what I did wrong." He says firmly.

"NO!" I quickly exclaim, "You didn't do anything! I'm the one in the wrong!" I try to explain

"How?" He asked, confused.

I clutch his shirt, trying to calm down, "I...it's my fault, it's my fault that you got injured..." I said.

"But that has nothing to do with you!" Ceil said in a serious voice.

"I... I knew a thing like this was gonna happen, but I didn't know who would win, or even if the teacher would act that way, since I know people are different here.." i started to ramble, my eyes going a bit watery.

"Slow down, deep breaths.." Ceil slowly let's go of my waist. We separate, but I'm still clutching his shirt.

"It's not your fault. The only perpetrator is the teacher that did it, you had nothing to do with it." Ceil said in a calm manor.

"Plus, if you told me, I would have only focused on that, and the teacher could have won, that's even more humiliating." He said, chuckling.

I let go of his shirt.

"Cmon, let's go get some cake, how bout it?"

I nod my head and we head off.

————————————————————————

I couldn't sleep. Not a wink. I kept thinking back on that moment with Ceil, I couldn't get him out of my mind. It kept me up all night, the fact that I like Ceil.