Chapter 28: Our friendship ends here

I hadn't been in class the whole day. Ceil must have noticed by now. But I couldn't go back, Ceil would definitely know that I've been crying, and then if I lie to him, he'll  get mad. But when he fins out my feelings and how selfish I'm being, he'll stop being friends with me completely. I berried my head into my knees, hugging my head with my arms. 

It's better if Ceil just distances himself from me for his new lover.....

I sniffled, here come the tears again. I've been spiraling like this for a few hours. Maybe I should go home... Ah, but father's home, I'm not entirely sure I can avoid him, and also the servants at home will definitely see me.

I'm currently in the school's garden, hiding in the shed. No one comes here, except for the gardener, but he mostly works after school hours. I'm safe to just hide here until I've calmed down. If I need an excuse for why I was gone, I'll just say I was stressed and needed a quiet place to read. I've done that often enough for people to believe me. I just hope Ceil does.....

I can't really tell what time it is, but I can tell at least more than an hour has gone by. My tears have not calmed down the way I hoped. I can't stop thinking about Ceil. Why does our friendship have to end? Why did I have to have these useless feelings....

At first, these feelings made me happy, excited, but as time went on, all I felt was agony for what's to come. Ceil would find a lover, and he would leave me. If I had not let these feelings evolve, I wouldn't be this sad, I would have been able to let go, yet here I am..... 

I just want to escape.....

 Ceil POV

God damn it! I really wanted to go to Alex and beat him to a pulp right now, but I knew half of it was my fault. Al hasn't been seen in 6 hours, I knew it had to be something I said this morning. God, I'm so stupid.

I just didn't want Al to worry about me and my stupid feelings. I've got to find Al as soon as possible. I've already asked Curtis and Alex for help. But we've practically searched through the whole school. I'll look around one more time before I see if he went home.

I stumble across the garden. It's not the most popular place at this school, but that just wakes it more suspect. I quickly search trough it. 

"Al! Are you there?" I say loudly. I hear a small hic from behind me. I turn around, there's a small shed in the corner of the garden. Aha. 

I walk closer to the shed quietly, place my hand on the doorknob and open the door slowly. In between a shelf and some sacks of dirt, Al is sitting, his hands hugging his knees, looking up at me in shock. His eyes are puffy and red, and there are still small tears in his eyes.

I immediately rush over to kneel in front of him, "Al, why are you crying?" I ask, grabbing his arm. 

It seems he is still shocked from me finding him, he tries to hide his face with his remaining arm, not responding. "Al, did I do something wrong? Please, tell me." I ask. I though Al was mad at me, but I couldn't believe I've made him cry, I just want to punch myself so hard right now.

"N-no! You didn't do....anything." He says, sniffling, still hiding his face from me. I grab the hand that's covering Al's face and hold it down. He still avoids eye contact with me, looking down to the side.

"I know I did something, or else you wouldn't be crying." I said, grabbing his face. He looked at me for only a second before his eyes darted to the ground. 

"It- It's me.... you didn't do anything..." He sniffles. 

"Al, please, tell me." 

He clutches my shirt, "I- I just don't... don't want our friendship to.... end.." He says through the tears.

"What are you talking about? Why would our friendship end? Did someone threaten you or something?" 

"Y- You have someone you like....don't you? So..... we won't be able to hang out anymore....right? That's why you didn't tell me..." Al's tears muddle his words. 

"No! I would never do that! Al, I would never even think about leaving you!" I said desperately. I don't know what to do. What do I say to convince him that's not true....

"N-no, it's okay, it's okay.... I- i won't get in your way!" He said flailing his arms.

"Al-" I got interrupted

"I understand you want to spend time with the one you like!"

"Al listen.."

"I'm gonna be fine!" 

"AL!" I grab him by his shoulders. Al's face s full of tears, his breath shaky. "Listen carefully. I will never ever, leave you. You hear me?" I say firmly. 

"But what about the person you-" 

I lean into Al before he could finish and kiss him on the forehead. "The one I like is you, Al." That took every bit of confidence I had to say, but I didn't see another option... 

Al's face turns read, his tears stopping. He looks at me with wide eyes. 'W-what" He says flustered.

Oho?

I smile. "I said I love you. How will you respond?" 

"ah..um..." Al's face seems to turn 5 shades redder. "I... like you...."He says quietly. 

I snicker. "What was that? I couldn't hear you." I lean in closer to his face.

Al avoid my gaze and says a little louder this time. "I like you." 

"Hm?" I lean in so our foreheads are touching. Al lets out a surprised "eh", and makes eye contact with me for a second before turning read and avoiding my eyes again.

"I know you heard me...." He says shyly.

I chuckle "What are you talking about? I still haven't heard an answer to my confession, I'm so sad, are my feelings one sided" 

"No! no!" Al stumbles on his words. "I like you." He says, finally looking me at me directly. 

I grab Al under his shoulders and stand him up. "Are you okay now?" I hub him tightly.

AL embraces me back, and quietly says into my shoulder, "Yeah, I'm fine."