03|

A door slams off in the distance, waking me up from my tired slumber, I must have just missed Annie as she scrambled off to work on a weekend

A door slams off in the distance, waking me up from my tired slumber, I must have just missed Annie as she scrambled off to work on a weekend. I guess that's what she gets for being the headmistress of both a college and a boarding school.

I closed my eyes trying to let my exhaustion pull me back to sleep but my brain had been awoken by Annie's departure and it demanded the rest of my body to follow through. I sat up, the blankets falling away and letting the cold morning breeze wrap around me. I yawned and reached for my phone.

No notification.

My body went limp in my bed again. My mother had ignored me since our fight on the phone, she was purposefully declining my calls and the 20 or so messages I sent last night all went ignored as well.

My eyes burned slightly but I wouldn't let myself dwell on it anymore, it was not like before this me and my mother had the best relationship. Actually, she's probably the happiest she's ever been with me finally out of the picture.

I swallowed a painful lump in my throat and got out of bed. The cold of my room wrapped around me tightly but I clung to it, keeping my thoughts on that was a lot easier than even thinking about my mother. I left my phone on my bedside table and left my bedroom.

The ankle had cleared until it barely twinged in pain, Annie had wrapped it so perfectly that the only evidence of yesterday's excursions was the light purple shadow hovering over the skin. If I stepped too harshly on my foot a zap of pain shot to my knee but it was otherwise easy to ignore.

I'm going to like to have Annies healing help around, knowing how clumsy I can be.

The cottage was empty, Annie had left and the house suddenly felt cold with her departure, I went into the kitchen and the sound of bubbling brought warmth into my heart. I walked over to the kitchen oven and found a pot of bubbling oats waiting for me. My eyes found the note tucked beside the oven.

Morning Button,

I made some oats for breakfast, remember to eat them you have a big day planned. I have a helper coming to give you a tour of the school.

You also need to think about your major this year - don't dwell on it too much right now. Tonight I invited some people from all the subjects we have to offer and they can tell you more about the subjects.

Don't lock yourself up inside this house, go out and explore. I promise Westown Peaks has a lot to offer.

See you this afternoon,

Annie.

I can't stop the smile growing on my face, even though the thought of dinner with professors and teachers sounds like the worst possible thing, I know that Annie cares about me and is just trying to make me feel welcome. Something I haven't felt in a while.