19| More Than Magical Sparks

Maybe it was slightly egotistical to think that the next day when I came to school everything and everyone would be talking about me, I mean the day before people had been talking about me so loudly on the fields that I literally had to go into the cottage just to get away from their words and hateful stares. Maybe not completely hateful but it felt like every single pair of eyes on me had wanted to cut me in half for even thinking about becoming a part of the wolf pack. What business does a witch have with being a part of a werewolf pack anyway?

Not even I have an answer for that.

However what I found the next day hadn't been all that I had expected. While some of the wolves had been preoccupied with my joining I could feel something else building, burning just under the surface of all of it.

Still, the pack had two reactions to me joining their ranks: either they would come over with bright smiles and kind words or they would glare at me from afar and then snap their sharp teeth in my direction whenever I passed them. I could see through both of these reactions though because besides the boys and Ethan no one was really happy to see me as a part of the pack. They had instead separated themselves into two groups, one who hated me openly, defying Lucian's demands and rules to accept me, and then the other group who hid behind their smiles and passive-aggressive energy. I had expected this, I wasn't going to fall for either of the group's threats or words because I hadn't joined to be liked by the pack and I was ready for this treatment until I eventually graduated and went a separate way to the pack and hopefully the supernatural beings of the school.

What I hadn't expected however was the undercurrent of fear that everyone seemed to have inside of them just two days later, this time it had nothing to do with me. It seemed the students had forgotten all about my joining because no one seemed to notice me walking down the hallway at all. Instead, all focus seemed to be on something unseen.

Eyes would shift quickly around the hallway, catching eyes and then looking away quickly. Whenever this happened I could see the fear and worry hidden inside them. People would whisper in low voices in the hallways and it didn't take long for me to realize for the first time it wasn't about me.

"What did your parents say?" One of the witch girls asked her friends one day in the cafeteria. The other friend shook her head, tears filling her eyes while the other pulled her into a hug.

"They don't know what to do. My mother wants me out of here, while my father thinks it's safer for me to stay."

"My parents want me to stay, says it's better here for me." I overheard a wolf saying the next day.

Their words had confused me until the teachers started putting bans on the weekend trips into Westtown Peaks and then a couple of days later a ban on entering the forest without a teacher present. Something was worrying all the students, teachers, and the parents of the kids here so much that no one complained about not being able to enter the forest.

Finally, everything seemed to come to a head when I entered my first class of the day Friday morning. I had arrived earlier than I normally would and found that not even half the class had made their way here yet. I found my seat and sat down, ignoring the whispers and watching as one, then two students entered.

Then the teacher came, his eyes fluttering around the room taking in the number of students before sighing and starting the class with a frown on his face.

He continued on as normal explaining vampire patterns and killings of the past, then just before the bell would signal the end he turned to us with a serious expression, all talking quietened down immediately. Tense silence.

"As you guys must see by now, we have lost a couple of our students. Their parents have decided that in light of recent events and their own personal beliefs that their children should no longer attend this school." He gave a worried breath and then tried smiling. It turned to grimace but he didn't let it drop. "I want to tell you guys that there is nothing to worry about, the classes here will continue and we will always be there to protect our students."