26| Night in Westtown Peaks

I have no idea how we did it but we spent all day in Westtown Peaks, the sun is just starting to hide behind the tall trees and turn the sky that beautiful golden colour as we exit the last store

A smile over at Cedric whose still laughing at my expense but it doesn't annoy me I think I might just be too happy to see him smiling after everything he told me. The human brain can handle a lot more than we really give it credit for. I have no idea how I would have reacted to finding out that one, my best friends father was a werewolf, two that I had shifted into a werewolf and three that I possibly killed my whole family because of the shift. The thought sends a shiver down my spine.

Not sensing my thoughts though Cedric does the gentlemanly thing and wraps a warm arm around my shoulder.

I let my smile drift back onto my face and turn into him a little bit more.

"Where to next?" I ask looking up at him.

We walk over the curb to head towards the main street again as I'm watching him I notice the smallest cringe from Cedric as his heel hits the cement.

Fuck, he must still be in pain from the attack and here I am making it worse by forcing him to walk around all day with me. He was meant to be relaxed but I've been nonstop all day trying not to think about anything but today. I feel horrible and my face but show that because Cedric's hand comes up quickly to cradle my face.

"What's wrong?" His voice is so full of concern and it makes me sadder, he noticed right away when my mood changed but I couldn't even tell how much pain he was in all day.

Trying to play it cool, I lean into his hand with a soft sigh.

"I didn't realise how tired I actually was and it just hit me like a ton of bricks." He smirks at me and I can't help but smile back. "How about we head back to the school, I'm sure we will get another day like this soon."

Even as I'm saying I know that it might not be true, things are getting so tense lately that I'm starting to doubt Annie will ever let me out of the cottage again but I need this, something to hold onto for the future, something to work towards.

Cedric nods his head, immediately agreeing.

"We will be back, for sure." As he talks he gives my cheek one last rub before letting his hand drop. He moves our direction ever so slightly. "How about one more lap of the main street, you haven't even gotten to see how beautiful it is at night?"

All too happy to spend another moment alone with him I quickly agree and we turn the last corner onto the main street.

As soon as my eyes reach the main street I let out a little gasp in surprise, Cedric chuckling slightly beside me. In the few minutes we had been in the side street shop, the sun had darkened the sky and the town's stores had closed their doors for the night. Every single building along the main road is dark and closed. It would be absolutely frightening if the street was lit up with lights along every path and tree. It's so bright along the road that it might as well be daytime.