10| Removal of Rose Colored Glasses

The next morning, as I walk down the hallways towards my first-class things, start making more sense, like the blurry landscape that seemed so confusing is suddenly defined and honestly a little more terrifying than before. Like the slope of a hill changing, morphing into sharp mountain cliffs behind the school.

As I walk amongst these teenagers I realize that they are so much more than teenagers, they are the things that go bump in the night, the things stories tell us to fear. A shiver runs down my spine bringing with it a cold outbreak of sweat. Without even thinking about it I slip quickly into one of the empty classrooms, trying to breathe through the sudden panic attack.

Breathe in, I tell myself. Going through the motions I've been taught whenever I have a panic attack.

Hold it for.

3.

2.

1.

Breath out.

I feel my heart slow to a more manageable speed.

The sound of a pencil falling to the ground has me spinning on my heel shooting an accusatory glare at the noise. Who would sit here, silently watching me have a panic attack without announcing themselves?

As I turn however I don't come face to face with someone holding in their laughter at my panic but instead, there he is sitting in the golden glow of the morning sun, asleep with a pencil and paper that had clearly just fallen from his loose grip.

Cedric.

His head is resting on the paper, his face clear, calm, he looks so innocent and happy, the complete opposite of his awake self. As I stare there watching him the same shiver of fear drifts over me but it's not as prominent as with the other supernaturals instead unexplainably I feel drawn to this man.

I walk forward without even realizing standing beside his table watching the way his chest rises and falls with each calm breath and eventually as I watch my own breathing mirror his, my panic attack is forgotten as I watch this beautiful man sleep.

I should leave, I think to myself after a long moment, I should turn away before he catches me watching him sleep.

I nod my head but standing here watching me seems like a much funnier time than going out there and seeing just how much I don't belong in this school, not now that I know the truth.

My eyes catch the way his nose twitches in his sleep, just like a puppy smelling his favorite food. I smile while holding in a giggle when his nose twitches again.

A loud bang forces my head away, my heartbeat rapidly jumping in my chest as I turn to the door. Grinning there is the girl from before Mila and one of her other friends. I laugh silently at my own reaction but then the way the girls are glaring at me has me turning quiet quickly.

I step away from Cedric, watching them curiously. Normally I wouldn't allow the jump of fear inside but then I remember where I am, these girls are so much more than teenagers they could be anything.

I take another step, towards the doors but Mila's grin turns wicked quickly.

"Sweet little Morgan, I hear you've been told the truth about our precious school." Her words are low and I realize that she's keeping quiet to not wake up Cedric. I look back at him now but he's sleeping soundlessly still.

"I have." I keep my voice low as well, matching hers. She grins and nods ever so slightly behind her to her friends. Who quickly steps away from Mila, moving around the small classroom. Two of them on either side of me.