13| Hard-Hitting Truths

The rest of the week passes slowly, my mind almost completely filled with staying as far away as I can from Lucian and Cedric that I barely notice the new exciting classes that have been added to my timetable. Being a supposed witch my timetable has been filled with introductory classes including; Introduction to magic, Potions & Alchemy 101, History of Magic Year 1 and Finding your Specialty. Apparently, every witch has something they are better at than other things - like fire magic, ritual magic, etc. The school also offers introductions to the other supernatural species so twice a week I have Introduction to Vampires and Introduction to Werewolves.

Introduction to Vampires and Werewolves are the only class that I don't feel like I'm completely lost in. I don't have to show my knowledge like the other students do and I'm not being forced to show the magic I don't have in front of the class. One too many times in finding your speciality I've been shoved to the front of the class with a spell I need to perform. Long minutes spent standing there waiting for something to happen before I awkwardly have to make my way back to my seat.

Of course to the silent laughter of my classmates. Not that I let it bother me, much.

I often spend most of my time in these classes trying to find the weaknesses of the other species - something I know we shouldn't be doing but I can't help myself. I don't want to be left without any kind of protection.

Then finally on the Friday of my first week of supernatural classes, my timetable gives me something to actually look forward to. My last class of the day is Defending and Protecting Oneself from Supernatural Harm. Instantly as I read those words Friday morning it's like the pressure has been realised from my chest and I can breathe. Surely this will help me stop what happened in the empty classroom from happening again. I hope.

I leave my room, wearing a pair of black plaid jeans, a white long-sleeved shirt and a dark grey jacket that I found tucked deep in Annie's closet because there's no way I will ever wear Cedric's again. In fact, I have no idea why I haven't thrown it into a fire already. Instead, it's sitting on my desk chair a reminder that I don't belong in this school - at all.

Annie has already left for her Headmistress role and as always a bowl of deliciously warm oats are waiting for me on the stovetop. I eat quickly, feeling almost like excitement rushing in my veins. I force myself to swallow slowly before finishing and washing the plate. The clock above the stove tells me that after the walk there I will have just five minutes to get to class. Just how I like it so no one has the time to talk to me. It's better this way, at least now I won't get attached to someone and for them to turn around and stab me in the back. Again.

I walk out of the cottage home with a look towards the forest. I feel like breathing comes easier whenever I look at it. I wonder what Aislynn is doing, is she safe in there? Should I have told Nathaniel about her? Or at least Annie?

Too many questions crowd around in my mind that I have to remove my eyes from the forest before I can think normally again.

No, I did the right thing. Aislynn had been scared of Nathaniel, of the school and she had very clearly said that she wasn't allowed here. I'm doing what's best for her. This weekend I will head back into the forest and try to find her, alone.

As I stepped out from underneath the porch the light rain sped up and started hammering down into the soil. I sighed loudly, annoyance colouring my cheeks red as I stepped back underneath. The one downside of living all the way down here was the walk up to my classes and if the rain wasn't permitting it then I normally had to spend the day soaking wet and dripping. Another thing the other students like to laugh at me about.