|| Epilogue ||

"Morgan

"Morgan. Morgan. It's time to wake up now." The deep voice calls from behind a shut door. I just roll over in my warm bed not wanting to leave the dream I had just been snuggled into. "Everyones arriving, it's time to go."

Nathaniel's words finally cut through the sleep deprivation of my brain throwing me headfirst back into my life.

The world around me slowly came into focus, I'm saddened to see the beige and brick walls surrounding me not a spot of life or personality in the room. It was deemed too unsafe for me to continue living in the cottage alone especially with everyone now living in the school main building but I felt like I had lost that connection with Annie that little bit more.

I swallow the tears before they can come and hide my head under the pillow.

"Morgan?" Nathaniel's soothing voice calls through the door again.

"I just need a moment." My voice is barely a whisper but I know Nathaniel heard it.

"I'll be waiting." He promises and I hear him slowly move away from the door.

I sigh into the pillow letting the tears break through my barely-there walls. Todays the day, Annies funeral will be held here at the school, apparently, there's a small gravesite here. They asked me a couple of days ago if I wanted to take her to my mothers but Annie hated the heat and the lack of plants, I know she would be more at peace here. And I don't plan on ever going back to that place.

I wipe the tears off of my face, telling myself that I won't shed any tears today, I need to be strong show everyone that I can handle this without Annie.

That we are strong enough to handle this, I quickly remind myself, I'm not alone anymore and I know that I'm going to need the support.

My phone vibrates, a message. I let the light fill the room and blink off before I roll off the bed and grab it.

A message from my mother beeps.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come today. Your grandmother knows how I feel about her. I'll come up as soon as I can."

I scoff at the words, another wave of tears coming before I can stop them.

She can't even be bothered to come to her mothers funeral when Annie had done nothing but love her.

I don't bother answering her half-assed excuses instead I throw my phone on the bed and turn to the closet.

I get dressed quickly in a black dress before walking out of my room. Just as promised Nathaniel is waiting in the dorm common room. He's alone and I can see the deep-rooted sadness in the sag of his shoulders and the way his eyes keep shifting quickly through the room. Annie was family to him just as much as she was to me.

I make my way over to him he looks up with a sad smile.

"Ready to go?" His voice was low.

I swallow down the sadness that creeps up, I shake my head at him. He looks confused but then I pull him off the chair and into my arms. Giving him a much-needed hug, he stiffens but quickly falls into the hug pulling me tighter than before.

"Thank you," I whisper into his chest and Nathaniel thankfully doesn't say anything. He just holds me and let me breathe in the soothing scent that follows him.

After a couple of minutes, I pull myself together enough to walk out of the dorms and into the main part of the school. A lot of teachers and remaining students are there waiting for me.

I try not to look into the sad eyes but I'm quickly taken in by Lucian and Cedric's own sadness. Another pair that was family to Annie. She took them in, defended them against many when Austin started fighting them. She was a grandmother to all of us.

I let go of Nathaniel's hand and rush to their side pulling them into hugs and letting them know I'm there for them without using any words.

"We should head out." One of the teachers announces and the crowd around us slowly starts moving through the two wide double doors.

I look up to see the usual rainy skies but this time it feels right like the ancestors are crying with us today.

I hold it together through the walk down to the graves only by the hands holding me, the boys all lending me their strength as my own tries to crumble around me.

I hardly listen to the words spoken around me all I see is the casket Annie is laying in. A sob rips through my chest and Lucian pulls me into his side tightly holding me close.

Another sob rips through me until I can't hold it in any longer I just let the tears take me, and just like that the people around me let it go as well. We all cry for the amazing women we left.

The loving, non-judging woman, that would do anything for those she believed in and she believed in everyone. She was one of a kind and someone we are all going to miss for the rest of our days.

The ceremony is done quickly and as the others start leaving for the wake I can't make my legs move. I hover over the grave, looking down.

"I won't run anymore Grammy. I'll stand up for the things that mean the most to me, I'll stand up for this school and protect the people I love just like you. I love you."

It's silent for a moment and I let the rain wash over me before turning back around, not really shocked to see all the boys standing there waiting for me.

Lucian gives me a small smile before grabbing my hand and turning around.

Just as we're about to walk away the sound of a branch breaking has us all turning, the boys quick in defence mode. They wrap around me protecting me from the unknown.

I watch over Nathaniel's shoulder as a figure walks out of the darkness of the forest beyond.

A man around our age is standing there smirking over at us. The boys all stiffen but it's Lucian that finally breaks the silence.

"Everett what are you doing here?" His words are confused but there's an underlying edge to it.

Everett laughs taking another step closer but Cedric growls stopping him from moving any closer.

"I've come with a warning." He looks over Nathaniel's shoulders right at me. Lucian moves to block him but Everett just laughs again cutting himself off and glaring at all of us.

"Well, I guess more of a promise little brother. This isn't over. That old lady won't be the only one your burying in the months to come and your little school will finally come to a close just like father wanted."

THE END

.... FOR NOW 

AUTHOR NOTE

AUTHOR NOTE

That's right guys this is the end of the book but this is only book 1 of a duology. I hope to get the second book out shortly but for now please tell me your thoughts on the book and the series so far. I had so much fun writing it and I know it needs some serious editing but I hope you enjoyed it. 

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING,
LAURA