16| The Trees Have Eyes

Sunday comes with bright sunlight and a light breeze, the first perfect day in the two months I've been here. I woke with the sun shining into my window, a burning passion in my chest.

I had actually done it, I had used that magic that Annie and Nathaniel had promised was inside of me and I had created a spark. A fireball in my hand and an image of myself powerful and with my people behind me - though I have no idea who those people are yet. It's a start to an image of me powerful enough to protect my people and more than that never to be forgotten.

I got up early, so early that I beat Annie to the kitchen. It was there that she found me dancing to some invisible music while I tried - and failed - to make us pancakes for breakfast.

"You're up early, button?" Annie's voice comes into the kitchen, I turn to see her already dressed for a day of meetings and carrying in a brown plant. I look at the plant questioning and Annie lets out this little giggle. "Arnold here wasn't getting enough sunlight in my bedroom."

She places Arnold the plant on the kitchen table, right in the middle of the sunlight. Then she turns to me with that loving grin on her face.

"Now what has you in such a good mood?" I can't help the smile lighting my face and she comes towards me excitedly bouncing her walk.

"Nothing, at least I don't want to get your hopes up." Annie looks at the pancake I'm currently burning. She grabs the spatula quickly but still gives me a lighthearted grin.

"Oh no Button my hopes are already soaring, you have to tell me now." I laugh and let her take over the cooking, knowing that she has way more skills than I do in that area.

"Well," I start with a smirk on my face as I sit over at the table, "yesterday Nathaniel came around." Annie turns to me with a knowing look, all I can do is laugh at her. "Not like that Annie."

We both laugh hard, my stupid brain suddenly remembering the way his chest fit against my back and the slight coldness and shiver it brought. Even now the shiver races down my spine.

"Okay, so what did you two do?" She asks, her eyes still bright as she brings over the pancakes she somehow saved. I load two onto my plate and spread syrup over them until they drip with it. Annie grabs one and some butter.

"He took me into the forest, he taught me how to empty my brain," I'm about to put the pancake into my mouth but then my excitement bubbles over again and I put it down grabbing Annie's hand. "I did Annie."

She gives me a fake lost expression and I roll my eyes at her.

"What, darling?"

"Annie, I made a fireball in my hand. I put it out of my mind. Annie, I did magic." I don't know how much she actually understood my words, I was talking as fast as I could. I take a deep breath ready to repeat myself but Annie is up and around the table so fast that she practically goes invisible.

She pulls me into a hug and I'm more surprised by the fact that I don't clench up. Instead, I instantly fall into her loving hug and let her scent slide over me. Relaxing muscles I didn't even know were clenched.

"That's amazing darling." Her voice is low and she says it into my shoulder still not letting go. "I know you were afraid but I always saw that passion, that magic burning inside of you. I'm glad you can finally see it as well."

I don't say anything but then that image of me being powerful, magic sliding through my bones comes back and one of the people behind me clears and it's Annie standing there. Hands-on her mouth the look of absolute love in her eyes.

I swallow the sudden emotion back and pull out of the hug. I don't move far, keeping my smile on my face.

"Thank you, Nanny. I love you more than you will ever know." Tears spring in my eyes and I see Annie blinking back the same emotions.