22| Storm Awakening

"What were you thinking? You could have gotten yourself killed

"What were you thinking? You could have gotten yourself killed." The smooth honey of Nathaniel's voice held his anger better than his expression was. He held me in my spot with just one look at his glare. His eyes were icy and his mouth was set in a straight line.

"I just ..." I trailed off my confidence leaving me with each second I looked into his eyes.

I had almost died out there.

"Your right, I was being foolish and stupid. The idea of Annie out there getting hurt made me react." Finally, his expression softens not to normal but less cold.

"I know you want to help but ... Morgan you are just starting to understand your powers and use them so having you out there in the middle of this. It's too dangerous it could get all of us hurt because we will be focused on you and making sure your okay." He reasons with me, rubbing his face before looking back towards the darkened windows.

"Your right." I give a small nod, before letting my chin rest of my chest.

He lets out a long breath and I feel him moving closer to me, he rests a hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay, at least thanks to you we were able to help that other kid getaway."

I try not to notice the way he lumped me with Ethan as a kid and instead lift my head up, a steady expression marking my face.

"You should go back out. I promise to stay in here, safe and out of your mind." I give a small nod, Nathaniel rolls his eyes and gives me the tiniest smile.

"No that's not necessary." He spins me around walking me to the other side of the house, into the same hallway we have in the cottage and to the back bedroom. "Austin barely brought enough 'friends' to keep the other busy, I won't be missed."

I give him a look before he opens the door to his bedroom, I try to keep my eyes focused on him and not rushing around the room trying to see everything. I'm sadly disappointed to find the room just as bare as a spare bedroom would be, well besides the clothes spilling out of the closet. I give a small smile over at him.

"I expect Annie will want to talk to the school early in the morning, you should try and get some rest while you have the chance." He motions his hand towards the bed and I take a step towards it, awkwardness filling my throat as I move.

I notice Nathaniel not following.

"Where will you sleep?" I ask him, keeping my voice low hoping he doesn't hear the way it cracks. He smirks at me.

"I said they shouldn't need my help but I'm not leaving anything up to chance. I'll sit in the lounge room and make sure nothing interrupts your sleep." He sends me a wink and closes the door.

I scoff in reply, which I know he can hear from the laughter filling the hallway as he walks away. As if I could actually sleep right now not with Annie out there still fighting.