Ten

1 0.

•••

It was unusual for Lilly to be this late.

She'd never been late to anything so it was safe to say I was skeptical as to why she was late. Not a few minutes later, she sent me a text to inform me that she couldn't make it.

I groaned out loud, and stomped out of my room to locate my brother. He was scooping cereal into his mouth, his eyes glued to the flat screen in front of him.

He glanced up when he sensed my presence, and he smiled at me. Mhmm.  "What's up?" I asked as he continued to scoop cereal into his mouth.

"The sky," I witted to my own joke, and planted myself next to him on the couch. "That's what's up."

Gale rolled his eyes, and pointed up. "It's the ceiling actually." His usual green eyes seemed darker, and irises were really tiny. "What do you want?" he simply asked getting straight to the point.

I gaped at him. Someone was grumpy. Running my hand through his brown shaggy hair, I asked, "who says I want anything my dearest brother?"

He gave me a look that said don't bullshit me. I sighed. "Fine fine," I replied, sitting back in the sofa. "I need a ride to school, and Lilly won't be able to pick me up."

Gale groaned. "Why don't you ask Liam? I have shit to do in the morning, and I'm picking up someone so I can't."

Intrigued, I asked, "who are you picking up?"

He shook his head. "No one important," he casually said and bit his lip as he got up. He was lying. He always bit lip when he wasn't telling the truth.

I'd have to find out what he was hiding. For now though, I had no transportation to go to school. This just sucked balls honestly. I seriously needed to get my driver's license and do what I wanted.

Suddenly a yellow bus drove by, and I jumped up as I grabbed my backpack from the table. Dashing out of the house I yelled for the bus to stop. I ran down the driveway into the street as I waved my hands in the air.

Yeah, my Monday totally sucked.

•••

I stood by my locker for my friends to arrive. Maya showed up first, and I furrowed my eyebrows. Lilly was supposed to show up first. She said she didn't have gas, and that's not like far away from here.

Pushing the thought aside, I smiled when Maya engulfed me into a hug and ruffled my hair. "I missed you, dufus," she said playfully, "Lilly isn't here yet?"

Dressed in a two piece demin outfit with knee length boots, she looked disappointed. "Lilly is never late."

Something just twisted in my gut. "Maybe she's stuck in traffic," Maya said after a while, sighing. I turned my head to look at her. "Or maybe she got pulled over by the cops."

"Why would she get pulled over by the cops?" I asked curiously as I leaned against the locker and folded my arms across my chest.

Maya brushed her wavy black hair behind her ear. "I may or may not have stashed some cannabis in the trunk."

I gaped at her. Did she really just say that? "You did what?" I exclaimed, and she blinked looking innocent. "Oh no I don't know if I'll be able to visit her in jail."