Twenty

2 0.

•••

I couldn't stop smiling as I got ready for tonight's dinner.

This was going to be so exciting, I couldn't wait for it to happen. Yet I was feeling very anxious about what might not happen. Wiping the sweat from my palms, I ran my hand through my hair.

But I still didn't understand how this happened because I was certain I didn't send anything to anyone. It must've been Liam because who else would it be? I texted him to come over so I could confront him about it.

I heard a knock on the window, so I strolled over and opened it. Liam grinned, and gave me a small wave. "Hey, Dalley," he greeted as he climbed into the square.

Turning around to look at him, he had been gawking at me. I suddenly felt shy. "Why would you pick a reservation at a French restaurant?" I asked, getting straight to the point. "I don't know how to speak French."

He scratched the back of his head. "Uh yeah..." he said sheepishly. "It was supposed to be for a double-date, but I figured I should give it you on your special date night."

I could feel the heat rush up to my cheeks. Liam could be such a sweetheart sometimes. Most of the times I just wanted to kill him though.

"Thank you," I whispered, not knowing what to say.

We stared into each other's eyes, and I must say, he looked completely innocent standing there with his hands shoved into his pockets.

"I'm sure it's going be great," he said after a while, his eyes wandering around my room. Why was he being so awkward?

Shifting my weight from my leg to my right, I folded my arms across my chest. "I have a bad feeling about this," I told him honestly, "something just doesn't feel right."

Liam shook his head, and took a step toward me. He placed his hands on my shoulders to look into my eyes. "Don't think like that. This is your moment. Your date." His umber eyes had no mischief in them — honesty was sparkling in his eyes. "And I have something special to give you."

I took a step back as his hands fell from my shoulders. "Please don't tell me you're gonna give me another outfit," I deadpanned, "I already look great in my all black outfit."

He chuckled, and shook his head. "Yeah no, you do look breathtaking in all black," he complimented, the left side of his mouth higher than the right. "You just need an extra touch up."

Retrieving his hand from behind him, he had a small black box in his hand. I clasped my hand over my mouth. Liam opened the box, and a crescent silver moon was displayed to me.

In small italics it read, Midnight Charm.

"Liam..." I said breathlessly, "what? I — the..."

Words couldn't describe how I was feeling in that moment. My heart was beating faster, and my stomach did this weird summersault, almost as if butterflies spread their wings.

"No," I said more firmly this time, and shook my head. "No. I will not give you the satisfaction of this! You're trying to soften me up so I can give you all the details about Lilly!"