16 - The Conference Room

After running through a long hall, we all break into the conference room, and I make my way to the front of the group.

A load of cameras are flashing at us as I look around the room, when I finally see him sitting at a table, amongst the rest of the band.

-Hi -I say, raising my hand timidly.

-You're my fucking idol, girl! -shouts out Vic laughing out loud.

Damiano is looking at me, but I can't figure out what he's thinking.

-I'm sorry I didn't come earlier, it's a long story... -I start to say nervously- I just... I'm sorry. For everything. I shouldn't have disappeared like I did... Please tell me I'm not too late!

He remains very serious while I'm standing in between the mass of journalists and a crowd of expectant fans. I can feel my heart beating hard in my chest and I'm getting short of breath with so much pressure.

-This is the moment I was waiting for -he says calmly- Finally I can say to all these people, to the whole world, what you've done to me.

He's still frowning at me dead serious, the cameras are focusing on both of us, and I can see it coming... I'm going to be scolded and shamed in live stream.

-You have no idea... -he continues- Of how I felt when I returned home to find out you had gone. You don't know how desperate I was when I tried calling you but you didn't answer.

-Yes, about the phone...-I try to excuse myself, but he raises his voice to overlap mine.

-You have no idea what it took me to set up all this and open up to the press... And you certainly don't know what it meant to me, putting my whole career at risk.

My lower lip starts to tremble, and I clench my jaw hard to try and stop it. I just want to run out of the room, but I won't do it this time. I'll let him release all his anger, tell the world what he thinks of me and how I made him suffer before leaving for the last time.

-And do you know why I felt how I felt and why I did what I did? -I close my eyes and lower my head, waiting for the final lunge- Because I love you. I love you so much I couldn't bear your absence, and I didn't care about anything else. It killed me to think I wouldn't see you again, and I wouldn't have a chance to tell you this is how I feel about you.

I look up at him with my eyes wide open. He's no longer frowning, instead he's standing up with a grin on his face. I smile back at him and start to make my way to where he is. He steps on to the table and jumps off it heading my direction, pushing forward amongst all the people.

When we meet halfway my eyes are watering, and I'm only able to reply:

-I love you too... -he cups my face in his hands and we merge into a deep kiss.

The group of fans start to shout and cheer and the cameras start flashing again.

-You have no idea of how curious I am to know the story behind all this -He says to me when we break apart.

-Oh, you won't believe it when I tell you.. -I say turning round to look at Natalie and company- I wouldn't be here if it weren't for these people.

-Then I think we should celebrate your return with them -he says, and then looks up to the group of fans- Hey guys! Are you up to a private party with us this evening?

-Hell yeah, we are!! -shouts out Hayley, and they all go crazy again with excitement. Vic, Ethan and Thomas run to our side to join in, and the press conference itself looks already like a party.